FLAS 2013-2014

busbus

So I've been hearing that a couple of friends from other schools were offered FLAS. According to my school, though, my particular language area group is awaiting word from the Department of Education about the number of FLAS that can be funded. Though in our language area group, no one has been awarded. On the other hand, another language group from our university has been awarded but it's contingent on funding. It appears to be sequester-related. Is this case for any of you??

Edited by busbus

I applied for FLAS to study Korean as an undergraduate student, and as far as I know, all regional/language area groups at my university have already been notified whether or not they were nominated for the award. However, like you said, it stated that it was "contingent on federal funding" so I am not really quite sure what to expect, or when we would know for sure if this funding is here to stay.

I'm waiting on a FLAS too. I was told at the accepted student open house that the graduate division has provisionally awarded the fellowships, but are now waiting on funding from the DoE. So, I've been told that if funding is cut by about 20% I should still be high enough on the list to be getting one, but they have no way of knowing how much funding is coming through. 

Ahhhh!

• 5 weeks later...

I am still waiting to hear and am losing my patience! I know my university was still waiting to hear about their funding in mid-April. I can't imagine they haven't been notified by now... 

I'm still waiting too... 

I check in periodically with the grad division's fellowships office, and when I do they seem entirely nonplussed about the delay. I've been told "next week" since mid-March.