My Story - Inspiration and Advice for all of you Waiters!

I recently received an e-mail from someone who is applying to their MSW program and I shared this with her. I thought I would share my story with you all, no matter what program you may be applying to and explain what I have learned from it... 

I applied to York, UofT and Laurier and it was very stressful, I'm not going to lie. It is a very competitive program and I was very worried about not getting in. By end of April I had been rejected at Laurier and York and Waitlisted at UofT. I waited ALL summer to hear from UofT, but I stayed in constant communication with them. About once a month I would ask a question, send an updated resume, and let them know I was very interested in the program still. Around the end of August/beginning of September I realized I needed a back up plan. I applied to a local University for part time social work classes to hopefully try and fast track into the BSW program. I decided to give UofT one last e-mail to let them know that I was still interested and that if anyone decided to resign from the program that I would be available to move last minute. I am pretty sure that e-mail was my saving grace because about 2 days before the program started they had contacted me and one other girl and offered us a position in the program! It was a long wait...and I barely made it, but it happened! 

The advice I will give you from what I have learned is: 
- Don't give up. Keep in constant contact with them, send an updated resume from a summer job or volunteer and make sure you stand out. Especially if you are wait listed. 

- Have a back up plan in mind. One of the hardest things about being rejected is wondering what will become of your future, and what you will do with your life. Have a back up plan in mind that you will be happy with and feel good about! 

- Try and distract yourself. Waiting is extremely hard, especially when it's the rest of your life. I know it's easier said than done, but you need to make sure you take your mind off of it now and then and just relax! Things will work out eventually if you want it badly enough. At the very worst, you take some classes, put in more volunteer hours and apply again next year! 

Thanks!

I'll definitely utilize your method of persistence until the first day of class to try and get off a waitlist for my social work program. :)

I decided to do this since I got an interview and they are really really interested in me. My application is still in review and my GRE scores are less than 40%. They are also waiting for a grade in my class I'm in now.

Thank you so much for sharing your story! I had gone 4 months hearing nothing from my last school (and only option left), finally called today and heard I was waitlisted! The worst part is I am international, and unfortunately they are only taking 2.67 internationals this year (why .67 is beyond me), so it seems my chances are slim, though I am still hopeful that someone out there will decline their offer! Who knows, maybe what happened to you could happen to me as well!