Waitlisted at Caltech; Help needed

Ceramist

Hey everyone,

needed some advice. I recently got an email from Caltech saying that I have been waitlisted for the PhD program in Materials Science.

Towards the end of the email they said that they expect a candidate like me to have other offers and so I should inform them if I am still interested in Caltech. As it so happens, by a stroke of bad luck, I have not been admitted anywhere yet and have only received letters of regret from the places I applied (Caltech and Penn State are the only ones who haven't rendered a decision yet). 

Would it be advisable to inform them of my situation, that as of now Caltech is the only half-option that I do have, or would it come of as too desperate/ somehow work against me? 

Also, what are the chances of someone making it from the wait list? 

Thanks for your help.

I don't think it will work against you at all. Graduate schools keep track of their matriculation rates, and they prefer that more students that they admit end up accepting offers. Consequently, a school is much more likely to accept you if they know that you will accept the offer (since it helps boost their stats). 

You don't have to explain the situation. Just tell them that Caltech is your top choice program and that you're wondering if they are still considering you for admission. There is no reason to play "hard to get" during the application process. At the same time, it is unnecessary to tell them that you don't have any offers yet. 

Edited by BPC

I agree with BPC. Just say they're your top choice and if admitted you would accept. No need to include anything additional.

As far as chances, it's hard to say. Do you know where you are on the wait list? How many people they're accepting this year? 

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use