University name vs fit and money

MPPgal

So I got accepted into Georgetown and UT Ustin for public policy masters, Georgetown gave me 10k a yr and after negotiating it they increased it to 17k but I still need to pay 25k a yr and very expensive living expenses, Austin gave me full tuition plus 14 a yr living stipend. Location wise for international public policy DC is better. Then this week Austin stepped it up and a professor in environmental policy (my area of interest) offered me an RA job on US-Mexico water management issues (I am Mexican). Should I take the name and location or the money and research opportunity?

Austin! Great city and Austin has a great name anyways.

I would wholeheartedly agree. I go to UT Austin for undergrad, and it is a really beautiful campus and a great culture. I love it here. There are so many things to do in Austin, and while the heat in the summer is pretty bad, the winter is practically nonexistent. 

Austin all the way. The funding is better (what, $78,000+ difference over a 2-year program? where "+" is whatever you get for the RA), they obviously really want you there, and if you're going to do public policy you have the rest of your life to live in D.C. and get sick of it. 

Before I went back to school for engineering I started off thinking I would do policy work. I lived in D.C. for a summer and it was just . . . weird. I mean, obviously I didn't like the field I was in, hence the switch, but I didn't feel like I really got a lot out of living in D.C. 

Edited by wabisabi

Texas is very active politically.  They have to have state and local government there, and there are federal government workers in all 50 states.  DC is more known for federal jobs but there are other ways to get involved in policy.

UT Austin has a great name, you will be debt-free and you will have tangible experience coming out of the MPP.  Definitely go for UT.