What does this mean???

vern23

So my friend n I applied at northwestern and he happened to be there visiting his girlfriend and went by the department to ask when they'd be sending out notifications since no one has heard anything. The man told my friend that he didn't know if we were in or not but he said my friend will be in the first wave of notifications in the next 72hrs (good and bad notifications) and he said I was in the second wave which will be next week. Now I'm used to first wave going early and second wave means after first wave has declined some offers, but if I already have a decision and second wave only a week later what does this mean???

I think that they are probably just doing waves of notifications due to the large number of applicants. Not to be a pessimist, but they usually do these for online notifications which tend to be rejections (I've had this happen to me). I think it would also be rash of them to expect the wave 1 admits to only take a week to decide and decline offers of admission, in order for them to send out wave 2 notifications. I guess you'll find out in about a week, hope its good news!

It might be acceptances first, rejection next, but it might just be alphabetical, like first wave is applicants A-M and second is applicants N-Z. A week is not enough time for people in the "first wave" to decide and admits from the "second wave" to be chosen in their place.