Fletcher Open House

DaniCM

Hi all Fletcher admits!

To those who attended the open house this past Monday: what were your thoughts? What were you impressed with and what did you think was a bit lack luster?

I was very impressed with the backgrounds of the admitted students. Their previous experiences really blew me away. I asked myself more than a few times, "How did I get admitted alongside such accomplished people?" However, I was disappointed to find I didn't really personally connect with many admitted students. I'm hoping people just seemed a little stiff because they were nervous, overstimulated, and trying to make the best (professional and academic) impression possible all at the same time. (this paragraph sounds judgy. I want to emphasize that I definitely enjoyed speaking with everyone about academic and professional interests, experiences, and goals. I just couldn't see myself hanging out or socializing with many admitted students outside of class...getting a beer or exploring Boston...doing chill friend stuff with. I'm leaving an awesome group of friends in DC, and I wont know anyone in Boston, so connecting with people on that level is really important to me.)

I was also very impressed with the professors I spoke with and all the people in the admissions office (who bent over backwards to make the day wonderful). They seem 100% invested in the success of the students, and are consequently extremely available and hands on. I'm sure I'll receive an amazing and personalized education. I very much look forward to establishing personal relationships with my professors. It seems that most internship, research assistanship, and career opportunities come from professors (or alum) and their connections.

Speaking of said opportunities, I was a little disappointed with the career office. Their services seem very general. They weren't able to answer a lot of my questions, or the questions posed by those in my smaller, industry-specific break-out group. It seems they mostly help you with mock interviews and resume/cover letter writing. They can also put you in touch with alumni in the fields you want to enter, and they have a list of former internships conducted by Fletcher students, with the necessary contact info. I was hoping for more guidance on what skills I need to develop to give me the best shot at reaching my carrer goals upon graduation, and which classes will provide me with those skills. In other words, I want their help to make the very most out of my time at Fletcher, so I best develop myself to enter my prefered career. I don't think they're in the business of helping students strategically align their education with their career goals.

I also realized I definitely want to live around Davis Square or somewhere with more bars and restuarants. There wasn't very much going on around the immediate campus, and I can see myself getting bored in Medford fast.

Anyway, in summation, I know I'm going to get a stellar education at Fletcher, while interacting with incredibly intelligent and accomplished students and professors. And I think I'll have great interhship and career opportunities as a result of their network. I just hope I can find a cool place to live and some students I can relate to on a more social level.

Edited by DaniCM

What about that question to the career office guy when a girl asked whether Fletcher was members of various minority recruiting "networks" and the guy had no idea what she was talking about? I also had no clue what she was talking about but am wondering if that is something career services should be familiar with and if I should know what she is referring to?  

I am not sure what to make of the career services presentation, but my impression is that none of the top-tier IR graduate programs have problems placing people (I am thinking SFS, SIPA, Fletcher etc.), so I am not sure that worries about career services are terribly justified. I mean the career services guy said that 90 percent of Fletcherites are employed 6 months after graduation, and he talked about the problems with the numbers, so it didn't seem like he was trying to falsely inflate them, although one can never be certain.

If I go to Fletcher, I will be your friend DaniCM! I certainly hope I didn't meet you and appear to be a weirdo, but I didn't leave with the same impressions as you did. In fact, I found the other prospectives to be fun and I got the sense that this whole sense of "community" is not a scam, but is actually very much a reality. I SERIOUSLY doubt that you will end up barren and friendless at Fletcher. This seems like the one place where one is almost guaranteed to have good friends.

If there was any problem with the admitted students, it is that there were not very many people whose cuteness met my standards. In a group of future diplomats, I was expecting more attractive people.

Edited by supbla20

If there was any problem with the admitted students, it is that there were not very many people whose cuteness met my standards. In a group of future diplomats, I was expecting more attractive people.

Hahahaha. That's funny. I actually did have the same perception in that area. My bf has been worried about me going to school and meeting someone else, and when I came back I told him he didn't have much to worry about.

Yea, the girl that asked that question is someone I talked to quite a lot and did actually really like. Based off her reaction when they had no idea what she was talking about, I wont be surprised if she doesn't end up attending Fletcher. But that is an example of the OCS being more general and less helpful when you talk about specific career tracks. She was asking about a professional organization for Latina women in finance. I'm sure Fletcher is a member, as they have a big Latin American club, and they club probably has all the info she wants on the program. For instance, I'm in a professional org called Women in International Security, and while OCS probably knows nothing about it, the international security round table mentioned it when they spoke about the security club.

I'm definitely not worried about finding a job after Fletcher. The Fletcher mafia sounds like a formidable force that really gets you places. My point was more along the lines of...it's odd that professors and alumni seem to be getting students jobs more so than career services. But maybe that's the way it is at all the top IR places, or maybe Fletcher is just like that because it has such a strong community.

And I'm sure I'll meet some fun, socially extroverted people. I only really had substantive conversations with about 12-20 kids, and most of it was centered around SIPA or Fletcher. It's hard to demonstrate how cool you are when you're worrying about one of the biggest financial decisions you'll ever make.

I hope you end up going! I'll definitely be there.

Thanks for the insight guys. I submitted my deposit yesterday so definitely confirmed. Are you confirmed or still evaluating? 

Supbla, I'm just hoping you have impossibly high standards in terms of cuteness!! 

Hey guys, I didn't make it to the Fletcher open house, but after visiting U Chicago, SAIS, and Gtown this past week I think I'm still leaning toward Fletcher. I am definitely interested in hearing as many open house experiences as possible though, so this thread is much appreciated. Dani, I'm sorry to hear you didn't feel like you connected with anyone, any idea why that may have been? Personally, one of the things that I find attractive about Fletcher, and this was somewhat reinforced after visiting the DC schools, is the perception that its not quite so populated with network-obsessed Beltway people  (is that harsh?), and that everyone is super friendly and down to earth. Like you said, I'm sure some of it had to with first impression jitters; I myself can come off as rather awkward when thrown into that kind of situation. If I do end up at Fletcher though I'd totally be down for some Boston exploring!

Ouch! That's surprising, have you seen the student profiles on their website? Some super photogenic people up in there!

I definitely didn't get a "network-obsessed" vibe. It was more like they seemed kind of stiff and socially boring, albeing extremely impressive both academically and professionally. I just had a hard time breaking past that professional demeanor with most admits to whom I spoke.

The big caveat to that is, of course, open house was only one day and everyone was very focused on getting the information they needed to make a decision about grad school. In contrast, the admin staff, professors, and current students seemed much more convivial and socially outgoing. I feel comfortable chalking up my perception of social awkwardness to open house jitters.

Aside from that and what I already mentioned in my first comment, the biggest take aways from the open house were: flexibility and community. They really sold their alumni network, which they dubbed the Fletcher Mafia. Hearing how tight knit alumni are and how spread out they are geographically and professionally gave me the sense I have a leg up getting a job in whatever IR field I end up and whichever end of the earth I so choose. The flexibility of the program really allows you to tailor your education to your career interests and goals - which your academic advisor will help you do. There are many required/core classes to get in the way of the classes you want to take.

Interning over the summer is very important, and 50% of the students do so abroad. Fletcher will even help fund unpaid internships (usually by about $2K). It also seems like there's lots of opportunities to get TA/RA positions directly from professors, and those pay about $!8/hour.

Interning over the summer is very important, and 50% of the students do so abroad. Fletcher will even help fund unpaid internships (usually by about $2K). It also seems like there's lots of opportunities to get TA/RA positions directly from professors, and those pay about $!8/hour.

Just to be clear, that's $18, right? Good to know, since I'm going to be looking for work there!

Yeah, I wouldn't be too worried about it, I bet everyone was just sizing each other up and trying to come across as serious little scholars, thus the stiffness. Just going by the second year people I've met, that all fades away pretty quickly once you get to know each other.

One week to make a decision...

Edited by rhodeislander

Haha, yea. Lots of typos. I was on my phone. I'll defintily be looking for work. I got a work study award, and I want to see if I can roll that up into a RA or TA position. I'm paying my deposit today!