Asking a professor now for an LOR that will be needed in a few months

I'm planning on applying to doctoral programs for Fall 2014, so deadlines are December of this year. 

I don't have a set list of programs I'm applying to yet, but would it be wise to ask for an LOR now, so that the professor is at least somewhat prepared to write the LOR's when I need them? Most of the programs I am looking at have their own forms to fill out - they don't want a regular letter written. 

I'm just wondering how early is too early (if at all) to ask for an LOR that I wouldn't need until the end of the summer.

Thank you!

I'm planning on applying to doctoral programs for Fall 2014, so deadlines are December of this year. 

I don't have a set list of programs I'm applying to yet, but would it be wise to ask for an LOR now, so that the professor is at least somewhat prepared to write the LOR's when I need them? Most of the programs I am looking at have their own forms to fill out - they don't want a regular letter written. 

I'm just wondering how early is too early (if at all) to ask for an LOR that I wouldn't need until the end of the summer.

Thank you!

I don't think it is too early at all. I had application deadlines in January/February, and I asked my LOR writers during the first week of September. Some of them actually let me know that it was very late to be asking- they had students asking back in May! I would say the sooner the better. 

Good luck :).

I'm also applying for Fall 2014, but I already have 2 out of the 3 recommendations lined up.  Professors and PI's have no problem with you asking early.  If anything it can make yourself feel more confident about having that part of your application prepped.

I'm also applying for Fall 2014, but I already have 2 out of the 3 recommendations lined up.  Professors and PI's have no problem with you asking early.  If anything it can make yourself feel more confident about having that part of your application prepped.

Very true. I've seen so many horror stories about LOR's not getting sent in time. I have at least 8 programs I'm applying to, so I feel like it's the respectful thing to do to give such ample time and notice.

Confirm now that they are willing to write the letter, then follow up as soon as you know which programs you are applying to and give them the list with their associated deadlines.  I asked mine in July or August for December deadlines but now isn't too early at all.

Obviously it will also be helpful for them if you include an informal resume that includes a short list of highlights from your undergrad, the writing sample that you'll submit with your application, a paper that you wrote for that professor's class, and a copy of your transcript.

Once you know which schools you'll be applying to, start your electronic application file as early as you can so you can log in and enter your recommenders' information.  This will send them an automated e-mail with a link to your application.  I did this in very early September for December deadlines (many applications aren't available until September, anyways).  One of my recommenders submitted his letters at the end of September, one did his in October, and the last one did his the night before they were due.

What about recommendation letters from graduate students whom you had for a class? I know they're not a Ph.D yet, but she knows me very well, and has told me outright that I'm the best student she's had in the few years she's been teaching. A letter from her would be invaluable, so I would think, but do adcom's look down on letters not written by a professor? The other 2-3 I have would be from Ph.D's.

A letter from a graduate student would not be "invaluable." It would make you look clueless -- sorry. I really recommend against it. Of course, it depends on the program, but from what I've seen and heard about, most want letters from people who are researchers with experience working with graduate students, and preferably in the same field you are applying to.

Edited by emmm