Canadian Visa (for dependent), work permit?

I'm in a tight spot and really need some reliable information. What's stopping me from accepting excellent offers is the fact that the F2 visa (on which my wife would accompany me to the US) has restrictions that strictly forbid the holder from working. Now I heard that things might be different in Canada. Is it possible for my wife to get a dependent visa (Canadian equivalent) which will also let her work in Canada?

I don't know about the Canadian visa but i've heard that some US schools may agree to issue a DS-2019 instead of the I-20 upon request. You can contact the department &/or the office of internationals to discuss this possiblity.

i'm in the same situation...

a J-1 visa will allow your SO to work in the U.S, but it is harder to get it.

one of my universities (privet U) is willing to issue a DS-2019 for me because i have full support for 5 years. when i visited another university (state U) i met a student who couldn't get a J-1 visa and had to come with his wife on an F-1 and F-2 visa...

i think its easier with privet universities so it is better to just ask them, but there is definitely a good chance to get a J-1 (which will allow your SO to work)

good luck!

Oh that's great news. The professors I'd been talking to did mention that when they'd first come to the US, their SO's had been able to work due to their J visas. I do think however that its increasingly tough to get it issued from the embassy these days due to the present situation there. Obama does have restrictions in place.