Jobs for PhD dropout in chemistry?

tomyum

Hello all,

I was a PhD student in a highly ranked institution (top 5). Since i was in a such a prestigious program, it was very hard for me to quit despite hating every day of my life at grad school. But finally I have made my mind and want to take a masters and leave. The thing that discouraged me from getting a PhD in physical chemistry was that most people who were graduating from my lab and other labs at my school were doing post-docs after post-docs to support themselves or getting really shitty jobs in industry. It does not seem like getting a PhD will advance my career in any way. My friends who I did undergrad with are earning much more money and have better job options than those that are graduating with a PhD. 

Money is not super importnat to me, but after all that hard work and sacrifice, I feel that I deserve better. I did chemistry and math as an undergraduate. I regret that I did not continue with my math career and went into some job that paid better. Has anyone made a transition form a science career to business or consulting or any job that pays well? If so, can you please give me some tips.

• 1 month later...

I haven't done this. However, if your technical skills in the lab are good you can probably get a job just fine. You might actually have more options than someone with a PhD. You'll definitely have more options and better advancement than someone with a B.S. Most industry jobs say something along the lines of "MS with x years experience" "PhD with y years experience." You're going to have to look hard, but that's because the science job market sucks right now for everyone.

You just need to spin your leaving early in a positive way. "I was spending most of my time teaching and working on theoretical problems, rather than doing anything with practical applications" etc.

I work at a CRO (avoid contract research organizations if possible) and lots of management and scientist level people are MS-educated. They're a lot less concerned with whether you have a PhD in industry.

Looking at management figures in the American pharma company where I completed an internship, most of them entered the company as research scientists with an M.S or B.S. They then moved into support/management roles, often gaining business qualifications along the way.

I'd go as far as to say that it's easier to do that as an M.S. than a PhD (those with PhD & postdoc qualifications are almost expected to stick with research...) 

Yeah, people with M.S.s usually do ok in industry. If you're fine with moving out of the lab eventually and into something management-related you might even end up managing several people with PhDs. I've seen it happen many times.

• 2 months later...

Hi Tomyum, I tent to agree with you; after my Phd I went to healthcare consultancy and noticed that a PhD did not give me a heads up- they even recruited a BSc on my position! At the same time people who started 3 years ago (when I started my Phd) were now in senior roles which added to my frustration.

Job in consulting is very interesting, challenging and it pays well. I did a little bit of search, this website gives you a good idea how a typical day and salary looks like: www.aftermyphd.com  It also gives you ideas of alternative career options for PhD graduates. Hope this helps, let me know if you need further advice on consulting.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone! Thank you for your suggestions. I dropped out of my Phd program in May and since then I had not logged into grad cafe, so I just saw the posts. I left grad school and now I work as a computer programmer. I am so glad that I made the move. The work hours are manageable and I have time to pursue my other hobbies. The increase in salary has been drastic and my quality of life has been splendid. Going to grad school was the stupidest decision I have ever made in my life.