American unfunded vs. Seton Hall half-tuition

Hey so I just received news today that I got a half-tuition scholarship + Research Assistantship at Seton Hall's Whitehead school.  So now I'm torn between there and a completely unfunded program at American.  I know American is the much better school, and arguably a better location (in DC as opposed to Seton Hall which is just outside of NYC).

Have any of you found yourselves in a similar situation of choosing between a half-funded lower-tier program against a mid-tier unfunded program?  I have to make my decision by Monday too which is making everything way more difficult.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Here's Whitehead's career placement Info: http://www.princetonreview.com/schools/graduate/GradBasics.aspx?iid=1038256

Edited by Tupacalypse

Contact SIS immediately and present them with the Seton Hall offer.  Personally, I think you are exaggerating a bit on the difference between SIS and Seton Hall (I see them as pretty close) but to each their own.

I could not find any info on SIS but Seton Hall had this online session on their site.  I'd take the $ and go to NJ if I were you assuming that SIS does not budge on their funding stance.  Good luck.

https://setonhall.adobeconnect.com/_a1102609103/p26dl9vdmwk/?launcher=false&fcsContent=true&pbMode=normal

Where did you go to undergrad? what kind of work experience do you have? And what do  you want to do after graduation?

If you have limited work experience in your desire field, American would be good in that their classes don't begin until after 5 PM specifically so students can work or intern during the day. This would allow you to build the necessary work experience and network for a career immediately following graduation. If it's a paid internship or job, then you can apply that to living expenses and lower the total cost of education.

However, the work thing is the only reason I would chose AU over Seton Hall given the funding. You're talking a lot of debt. And for IR schools, I'm not sure how much prestige matters outside the top 5 schools anyway. What sets AU and GW apart from the other non-top 5 schools is the location and potential to intern and network while in school.

First of all, thanks for your helpful responses you guys are awesome!

I currently am finishing up my degree at UNC-Chapel Hill.  My work experience is lacking, as all I have is a research assistantship and a summer internship at a human rights commission in Nairobi this past summer under my belt.  My ultimate goals I am thinking are along the lines of democratic governance, so ideally something with the UN or a democratic development-based NGO.  In this sense, with a UN focus Whitehead appears the better school but again as you said about American that is a huge factor too.

I also just called the admissions director at American and was told about funding considerations for a second round could be made next week (funny how the first time I called they said they don't make them).  So now I'm in another situation.  I was told to inform Whitehead by Monday of my decision, and I doubt I will find out about funding at American by then.  Ahh this is so stressful.

That's a tough situation. I think you really have to analyze whether AU is so much better than Seton Hall. AU is great (did my undergrad there) but I have no knowledge of Seton Hall whatsoever (wasn't even on my radar when I was applying for grad schools, don't know if that tells something about me or the school).

I think the safest choice for you is Seton Hall given the money they offered you. I know AU gives any kind of funding to only 10% of the admitted students which is extremely low, so I don't know how high your chances are to get second round funding. Don't completely believe me on this, but the 10% figure was in my admission letter and I've seen it elsewhere as well.

But if you really think you can't have great internships during the two years you go to Seton Hall and you really want that DC experience (which can be quite useful and valuable), it's a valid reason to go to AU and take on more debt. That's all I can say really.

Edited by JFactor

Whitehead doesn't get much press on this board, likely because it isn't in the FP rankings, but in my (admittedly highly subjective) opinion, its a pretty solid program. I have a friend there now who loves it and is interning at the UN. I can't speak much about it beyond that, and have no clue how most of their students do after graduation (that's up to you to research), but what little I've heard seems positive. Just find the figures for employment outcomes and salaries for both AU and SH and compare them. If they're similar, take the money.

Or, better yet, reject both and spend a couple years building a resume. Then apply again and have much better options!

Whitehead has been really adamant about me attending there.  They even had the chair of the school who is a professor with a focus on Africa (my specialization) email me over the weekend.  At this point, I'm going to go ahead and make the decision to attend Whitehead.  If for some ridiculous reason American turns around later this week and offers me more money than Whitehead, that may change things.  But I'm about to call and inform them of my decision.

Thanks all who took the time to help!  You guys are great.