Help me make my decision

arashTTUND

Hi,

my major is Electrical Engineering. And I have decided to first get my Master's and then decide if I want to find a job in the industry or continue my education for PhD, the followings are the offers I have received: 
  • UCSD Master/PhD but their letter says that funding is not available at this time!
  • ND PhD program, a full tuition scholarship of $44,360 as well as stipend of 21,000 and health insurance and everything - Funding package is guaranteed for five years as long as my grades stay in an acceptable level.
  • Cornell, Master's with no funding
  • Accepted into Rice for PhD as well, I have not received the official letter yet and do not know about the funding situation.

• My main question is that which program do you think I should pick?  I do not know about the job market for an electrical engineering graduate, in comparison to a master's degree from Cornell or UCSD? Should I pay for my education out of my own pocket, and get my master's from Cornell or UCSD, simply because my degree will be more valuable?

School name doesn't matter so much if you're going for just a Masters and then going into industry. Internships and research experience are your biggest asset when it comes to finding a job. I don't think you should reject a funded offer for an unfunded offer, even if the school name is much better. You'll always have the chance to reapply to a different school after you get your Masters if you end up disliking where you go.

Take the offer from whoever offers you funding!