University of Pittsburgh (Fall 2013)

iamjacksgoat

Anyone else going to grad school at Pitt starting in the fall?  

I was accepted into their Graduate School of Public and International Affairs (GSPIA) for International Development.  I live in Pittsburgh currently, so I'm here all summer waiting.

Hello! New Pitt grad here as well! PhD in Theatre & Performance Studies. I'm relocating from Illinois, so I'm starting to do the apartment search. I plan on visiting early May to sign a lease--fingers crossed!

Hi everyone, I will be starting Industrial Engineering Program. I am an international student and if anyone can give me some advice about housing, I will be very happy. I just need a warm place :)

Hi everyone, I will be starting Industrial Engineering Program. I am an international student and if anyone can give me some advice about housing, I will be very happy. I just need a warm place :)

Even though South Oakland is close and cheap to campus, I would suggest elsewhere.  It's obnoxious and loud, but if that doesn't bother you, it's very convenient.  I think a lot of graduate students look at Squirrel Hill and Shady Side, though you would have a short commute.  When I lived in Squirrel Hill, the bus commute was about 15 minutes, or the walk was about 45 minutes.

Hi all!

I am entering Pitt's PHD program for Political Science in the Fall (geitost, send me a PM if you want to talk shop).

I am a current Pitt student (graduate this Sunday :) ) and a native of Pittsburgh, so if anyone has questions I'd be more than willing to help.

Even though South Oakland is close and cheap to campus, I would suggest elsewhere.  It's obnoxious and loud, but if that doesn't bother you, it's very convenient.  I think a lot of graduate students look at Squirrel Hill and Shady Side, though you would have a short commute.  When I lived in Squirrel Hill, the bus commute was about 15 minutes, or the walk was about 45 minutes.

Thank you for your reply. As you suggested, I checked the Squirrel Hill places and I found this Meyers Management internet site.

Hi all!

I am entering Pitt's PHD program for Political Science in the Fall (geitost, send me a PM if you want to talk shop).

I am a current Pitt student (graduate this Sunday :) ) and a native of Pittsburgh, so if anyone has questions I'd be more than willing to help.

I just want you to ask which Meyers Management Residential (Amberson, Morewood Court, Ellsworth Towers and Centre Towers) would you recommend for me to stay? I consider the distance, neighborhood and closeness to certain requirements like bus stop and markets aspects.

I will really appreciate all your help since I do not have any idea about Pittsburgh and I wont be able to visit the city before I arrive.

honourbal,

I am sorry to say I know little of the apartment buildings you are asking about. You would be better of talking to Pitt students who are NOT locals, as I am currently commuting in from my family home and have not had to research housing.

What I can tell you from browsing Meyers Management site is that the four apartment complexes you mention are located in Shadyside. Its a neighboring area to Oakland, where Pitt is located. Shadyside is historically home to many of Pittsburgh's steel magnates, and is currently a mix of upper-middle class families, young professional types, and grad students. The major business streets in Shadyside are Walnut Street (upscale dining and boutiques), S. Highland Avenue and Ellsworth Avenue (both less expensive than Walnut). All these streets are pretty close to one another, so if you are anywhere near those streets, access to shopping should not be an issue. And all the apartment buildings you mentioned say they are on the bus line. From Shadyside, a bus ride into Oakland takes 15 minutes at most.

As iamjacksgoat said, Squirrel Hill is quite nice too. It also borders Oakland (as well as Shadyside) and the business district there is located along Forbes and Murray. Again, its a very nice middle class neighborhood, known historically as the home of Pittsburgh's Jewish community, and is also located with a 15 minute bus ride of Pitt. Both it and Shadyside are far nicer than other places students live in like South Oakland, which while very close to campus is essentially a student ghetto, and South Side, which is more crowded and dirty and home to Pittsburgh's major center of nightlife in Carson Street (and all the loud drunks that brings with it).

Edited by TyKohn

Thank you for the reply TyKohn.

I guess Shadyside will be a better option for me. I will just look for a studio room for my first year and then I guess I will have an idea for the next year.

Again thank you for your help.