Fall 2013 Research Assistant jobs?

BuzzinAround

Hello, I'll be graduating this summer from Georgia Tech with a B.S. in Psychology, and I'm definitely planning on heading to graduate school, but I'd rather take a break before I start applying. I was hoping to find a full-time RA or lab manager position to get more general research experience and give myself time to figure out which program I want to go into. However, it seems that most job postings are geared towards those who are dead set on continuing research in the same area as the lab in which the RA works. Does my somewhat indecisiveness on which graduate program I want to eventually enter alter my chances of getting one of these positions? 

Just as a final note, I'm leaning more towards an I/O program, but it doesn't seem like there are many full-time RA or lab manager positions offered in this field. However, if anybody knows of any listerservs I could join that post such positions, that would be awesome!

I can't speak for other research assistants, but the current job I have right now is not even close to what I plan to study, but I was looking for a new experience which is why I was hired.  I do not regret taking this job, I have learned so much and obtained many skills that I know will be helpful for me in graduate school.  I can PM you where I am working right now, if you are interested.  It is unfortunately out of your state, though (but still on the East Coast!)

It is always helpful asking professors/advisers from your university about possible job openings (networking is great!).  If your school has a job posting site, be sure to check that out.  I found it helpful to google "psychology research assistant/lab manager jobs in ______" when I was looking.  Good luck!  Taking a year off between undergrad and graduate school has been a great experience!

Ah, okay. That definitely makes me feel better  :) . I actually have no problem leaving my state. I like mixing things up, so a new place sounds really exciting. Could you PM me about your current location and what you do? That would be great! Thanks!

Edited by BuzzinAround

I imagine there is some sort of organization of I/O psychologists? I would check their website for listservs or job postings. You can also check the SPSP boards (http://www.spsp.org/forums/topics.asp?forum=142748&), HERC (hercjobs.com) and higheredjobs.com. At least, that's where I've been looking (I'm not in I/O, but there are a variety of postings). 

I don't think your indecisiveness will hurt you, because you can say that you would like to get new experiences. 

I know some labs prefer to have students who want to continue in their research area, but a lot of them don't really care as long as you can get the job done. I graduated with a BA in psychology in December, and was hired right away by the Health Studies department at my school because they wanted people who were experienced with human experiments. I'm going into social psychology, which is only loosely related, but they didn't mind at all. 

Just let them know you're looking to gather a breadth of experiences so that when you do eventually make up your mind, you can be confident in your choice. That's what I've always said to employers (and to my grad school interviewers, when they came around), and it was always pretty well received.

I think it helps to have some idea what you are interested in, but my impression is that nobody is going to hold it against you if you refine or change your ideas along the way.  As a researcher, you want to be able to hire someone who will be engaged and interested; the easiest way to ensure that is to look for someone who expresses a specific interest in your work.  I don't think that means you need to figure out exactly what your interests are now, though.  You just need to be sure that you are interested in the positions you are applying for, and you need to be able to articulate why.

As for finding them, I found Higher Ed Jobs very helpful.  Good luck to you!