SJSU or UCI/UCSC

kcs2013

I'm a non cs-background student currently working my way through the prerequisites for a masters in CS, and I've applied to transfer next year (with about half of my preqreqs yet to take).  I've been admitted to a smattering of schools across the country, but due to financial and personal reasons, I was thinking of attending SJSU.  As of today, however, everything is up in the air again (unfortunately right on the day I have to make my April 15 decision), and I'm wondering if I should be considering UCSC or UCI instead. 

My parents have agreed to foot the bill, but I'd rather not put them in the poor house for the 2-3 years it will take me to complete the preqreqs and the masters coursework.  Does anyone have any opinions on how SJSU fares with the UC's?  I know that SJSU is right in silicon valley and offers ample recruitment opportunities, but will there be employers who will look down on it?  Also, how does the quality of the degree itself compare?  At less than half the price and the ability to live at home, is it worth it to forgo the better ranked UC's?

Looking for some feedback asap! 

If your final goal is not the PhD, but a great software engineering job, attending a UC program is not your only choice. I am not familiar with the job placement records of SJSU, UCI, but you should find some sort of optimization of between the money you invest in graduate school and final job outcome. Perhaps you should first define what type of job you would like to find after graduate school, and at which organization, and browse thru profiles of people who fit that description on sites like linkedin.

Edited by compiler_guy