Pursue a funded MA in humanities or take a full-time job offer?

Inez90

I'm surprised to be in this position, as I had a very set plan to pursue an MA in English with an emphasis in TESOL after graduating with my BA, but I took a part-time job at the local library to put money in my pocket and I've come to enjoy it. Now a full-time position with benefits has come available there, and my boss has encouraged me to move into that position. It's very tempting considering that, with a BA in Literature, I'm not exactly marketable in the current economy, and full-time jobs in my field (and that I would enjoy) are hard to come by; however, I was also accepted into a strong MA program with an assistantship, tuition waiver, and a generous monthly stipend. While an MA in English with a TESOL emphasis will give me more practical training and may open up more professional opportunities than an MA in Literature alone would, the job market for individuals like me who want to teach English to adults but do not have a teaching license is still fairly weak.  Of course, I miss academia and the rich world of the mind, am passionate about the field and TESOL, and would probably feel I missed a wonderful opportunity to grow intellectually and personally if I decide not to go to graduate school.  On the other hand, I know that I need to be practical, and my fear is that I won't be able to find steady employment in my field after going to graduate school for a humanities degree. This job, while not ideal but enjoyable and interesting nonetheless, would provide me with the stability I desire, and I could always pursue graduate school later on. Still, I'm afraid I'll be haunted by "What ifs" if I turn down this great opportunity to study now. And I could be exaggerating how bleak the market is. Ugh, I don't know. I know most of you are dealing with your own difficult decisions and dilemmas, but any insight or advice would be much appreciated.

That does sound like a tough pickle that you're in. Try to see if you can answer this question: What is your ultimate goal? If it's an MA (or some time down the line a PhD) in English, then why do you want the degree(s)? Is it so you can find a steady job no matter what it is? or do you want to become a college professor? Can you see yourself happy with your current job in the next 10 or 20 years? Would you regret it if you didn't try for an advanced degree this early (I'm assuming) in your life or would you regret it more if you quit your job only to go through the obstacles of graduate school to find that you couldn't secure a tenure-track job in the end?

Personally, I would still pursue grad school especially if I were given the same package as you were given just because that's what I want to do, and I believe that's what I'm meant to do. But my mentor continues to remind me (not to be mean or anything but to be practical) that I'm still young, and I don't know anything other than academia because that's what's been occupying my life for the last several years. If I could think of something else to do with my life--anything--I should probably do that instead because there are so many grad students who think they will be part of the 50% who will not drop out of grad school, and then go on to be the 10% that manages to secure a tenure-track job. I don't know if fortune will smile upon me, but I'm willing to take the risks because I know I would regret it more if I didn't try. But I'm in a different position than you are, because I was not offered a steady job, and so I don't really have the motivation to put grad school on hold and try it again when I'm older.

And that was a long-winded response to what I really mean to say: do what matters to you now. If you feel more motivated to kick butt in a graduate program, go for it. If you think you will have that same passion for academia later on while you're settled in your full-time job, then put it off for later. You'll gain much more life experience, and you'll be all the wiser.

I agree with selecttext.

Amongst all the Humanities disciplines, English is one of the most competitive - with several hundreds, if not thousands applying for Grad programs and later for academic jobs.

This is not to say that you can't make it, but with the kind of competition, it may turn out to be a long-winding case for a TT in English. 

So, it's better to take this job and get stability and do your Masters part-time. After getting your degree, you can negotiate for a higher salary at your job and a few years later, can decide whether you would like to go for a PhD in English. 

Edited by Seeking

Thank you for all of your thoughtful advice. I can't defer admission and still retain funding, and I should've clarified that the school I got accepted to is in another state, and my current job is in a small, rural town that isn't ideal or appealing to a young and curious person like me. If I were to stay here and attend a program part-time, I would be limited to the programs around where I live and would probably have to commute to class or do on-line courses. It's doable--I know people in my town who do this--but ultimately I don't think it would challenge me. Gauche, you posed some important questions, and I've considered them heavily. I ultimately don't want to settle or sell myself short, and I feel that's what I will be doing if I decide to stay and work full time. It's the "safe" choice and one motivated by fear and uncertainty about the future, and I don't like that. I also don't think I could remain satisfied with it for the next 10-20 years. Simply put, I want to grow, so I'm planning to go ahead and attend grad school this Fall. Maybe I'm being naive and maybe my reasons aren't sound, but it feels most natural. I personally believe an MA will ultimately open up more interesting and challenging professional opportunities than are available to me right now and will allow me to make more professional and personal connections, even if those opportunities and connections don't lead directly to my ideal teaching position (I agree that I need to widen my career interests beyond that), I think it's still worth it.   

Then go do the MA. Just realize that in the long term, the program and university will be of little consequence. I have a friend who studied poetry at Oxford. Trust me, no one cares.

Edited by selecttext

i don't fault you for being wide-eyed and optimistic, but from a practical perspective, the content of the MA is  less important than the credential itself. A masters will improve your life time earnings but it won't necessarily improve your employability. This is why I suggested attending on a part-time basis, so that you develop your CV. You seem to have already made your mind up, so why ask for opinions?

Edited by selecttext

In economics they always say, look at the opportunity cost. Now I'm no economist, but I don't think there is a high cost if you pursue the MA. You're not going into debt to do it, which is more than most people can say! They want you, and the are willing to pay for the value that they think you will add to their program! That means something!

Let's say you can't find a great job after your MA. If, when your finished, you end up in another un-enriching job in another sweet but no-name little town, you won't have really sacrificed anything, and you would have satisfied all the what-ifs that plague you now...

Go for it! That's my opinion.

And you're right... somebody here sounds a little world-weary (or bitter).