Fall 2014 applications

antecedent

telianathegreat + Onzeheures30

Thank you for the helpful input! 

Although I got acceptances for the MA, I'm pretty sure it's more competitive for the PhD. 

Lingutherobot , the rejection might be a result of too many applicants having the same research interests.In that case, lots of qualified applicants will get rejected. Life can be so random and luck plays some part in this situation.

Hi, guys, I've been thinking about something all day..., and wanted to know your opinion. I don't know if I am being admitted anywhere, and I am already thinking about the possibilities of applying next year, and the things I should/could improve in my application package, given that situation. 

It has been said a thousand times that the most important thing when the adcom considers an application is "fit" with the program. I also believe that that is true to a certain degree, but I've been wondering how it is possible that there is some people that get accepted in almost every program and others who are rejected everywhere. If "fit" would be so important, it's quite weird that a person would be admitted into very different programs, right?... To what degree one's interests should be general in order to be a good "fit" to all these programs? And given that scenario, general interest would be looked as something positive?

I think that we all have different backgrounds when it comes to research, so one of us could probably be a better fit than the other for a specific program, whether in another it could be the other way around... I mean, even each one of us knows (or thinks that know) where one would be a better fit (and probably that's their top choice).

Perhaps it's just frustration talking right now, but I think that there must be something else than "fit" (and the way one explains that in the SOP) that is being taken into account when deciding admissions... (in top of "general conditions" that I think are almost necessary to be admitted in a good program: ~85-90% percentile GRE, <3,8 GPA, background in research, some publications/conferences, etc.).

You've gotten some very good responses, but I just wanted to put in my two cents. Of course fit is important, but perhaps taken too liberally to mean "alignment of interest". Your interest in, e.g., ergativity might match perfectly with Professor X, who is the ergativity expert in the field, but that's neither a necessary nor sufficient condition for acceptance (at least at first blush, the institution I'm at currently might not look like the best fit for my larger interests). I think demonstrating in your application your ability to conduct independent research is arguably the most important. Notice that this cuts across several sub-components of your application. Evidence for this capacity should be given not just in your SOP, but also in your letters and in your writing sample. Some of the things you mention here are not so important, e.g., GREs. Many of the schools I applied to didn't even look at the GREs. And at most 1 person in my current cohort has had any publications at the time of applying, and I think that's fairly standard, at least in Linguistics programs. My main advice to you for the next application cycle--partly because it is the one you have the most control over (you can only do so much improve LORs)--is to work on your writing sample. It's the strongest piece of evidence that an adcom has that you can do good, graduate-level work. Good luck!  

I really enjoy reading everyone's suggestions/opinions! 

I think one thing that really helped me with my applications was to have (i) my current research project, which allowed me to discuss experimental design, the theories behind it, etc. and (ii) a good idea of what kind of projects I'd like to develop next (both the broader picture and a few specific examples). 

Regarding fit, I only applied to places where I knew that some faculty was working on the same kind of questions.  Like I said before, I did contact all of them previously to ask if they were taking new students, and if they were interested in a student who wants to pursue X line of work. 

Finally... I do agree that there are a LOT of factors at play. Some of them beyond our control (lack of funding, professor Y can't take any students, etc.). For example, I know that the "international student funding issue" has been discussed already here, but I did have two professors tell me that it could indeed be harder for them to fund me because I'm not a citizen... so that matters as well. 

It's an extremely stressful, soul-draining process. I think the best thing we can do to prepare for it is to submerse ourselves in research as much as we can, and rely on Professors/Colleagues/Strangers at grad cafe for advice.  :)

Thanks again for everyone replying to my question! Everybody has been really helpful. I still have to hear from Yale (or to decide if I pursue my PhD in my home country), but if not, there are things that I definitively will take into account when reapplying.

I guess that sometimes there's also some subfields that are growing more than others, and probably more candidates in that specific subfields... And sometimes (and I can handle it), it's just admitting that there were better candidates for one's position that oneselves... Regarding the "international student status", and being one myself, I think that LoRs also play an important role... Good lettes from not-so-well-known (i.e., non-US and non-European) people might be an issue...   

Regarding the "international student status", and being one myself, I think that LoRs also play an important role... Good lettes from not-so-well-known (i.e., non-US and non-European) people might be an issue...   

yeah, I'm also from South America and I do agree. I had the chance to talk to one of my POIs openly about that and they did admit it's always good when they get LoRs from people they know, or at least know of

have you talked to your professors about it? maybe they have some contacts you're not aware of. 

Yeah, that's something a POI also told me, so it probably matters not only what they say, but who says it...

I have talked with my professors here, and they told me some of their contacts... Everybody (and everything) kept telling me that maybe I should apply next year...; I will have a paper published, a professor they know in a top program will end his sabbathical, Northwestern will re-open their admissions (this year they shut the graduate program admissions)..., but I was stubborn enough to try!

Honestly, I've been doing research for quite some time (~4 years), almost for free, and I got quite tired of having an extra (a real) job to pay the bills. I decided this was the year to try and go full into research (i.e., getting paid for what I like), but maybe I was wrong. Well, not so much, since I can do that here right now, but my expectations had become higher, :)

Hi all! I've been lurking pretty intensely for the past month and a half — right after I submitted my grad school applications and started hoping against all hope, LOL

I didn't get accepted, but I knew it would be a long shot — I've been out of college for more than two decades, so have no "fresh" academic work to show. I surprised myself by doing rather well on the GRE last December (I thought for sure that I'd have to take it at least twice) and got confident enough to apply to a couple of dream schools.

I, too, was very interested to see everyone's answers to Linguo’s question about “fit.” OnzeHeurs, your answer is especially intriguing to me! I was wondering if you could tell a little about your independent research — what you did, how in-depth you wrote it up (I assume it was your writing sample), did you by any chance manage to get it published, etc.

Thanks again for everyone’s wise words!

Any one accepted to CUNY PhD program?   I received official letter of acceptance today, but there is no remark on funding nor official letter for funding. Does it mean I will not receive funding? 

Acceptance isn't the same as funding. I notice on the search results how people mention that they would get info abt funding after they get their acceptance letter. Email CUNY

Acceptance isn't the same as funding. I notice on the search results how people mention that they would get info abt funding after they get their acceptance letter. Email CUNY

I thought they will send the relevant letter with acceptance letter. It is a relief haha. Thank you 

Edited by yeonju123

Any one accepted to CUNY PhD program?   I received official letter of acceptance today, but there is no remark on funding nor official letter for funding. Does it mean I will not receive funding?

I got into the PhD program with full funding. I was notified via email by the program director about the funding, but it is not mentioned in the official acceptance letter I received by regular mail. You should probably call them to find out.

Any one accepted to CUNY PhD program? I received official letter of acceptance today, but there is no remark on funding nor official letter for funding. Does it mean I will not receive funding?

On second thought: I know CUNY doesn't accept students into the PhD program without funding, so I'm pretty sure you're good to go. :) Edited by NRC

Thank you! And I'm sorry! :(  

In all honesty, I was very surprised to be admitted (extremely happy, but surprised) because there was a large group of prospective students at the open house and they all seemed to be extremely qualified. Some of them were coming from very prestigious schools (Yale, UPenn, Harvard) and had lots of previous research experience. 

You are probably a great fit. Even better. The name of a school isn't (and shouldn't be) everything. Do you already know who you will be working with? What will your focus be? :-) 

It is not too sad - I got accepted by UT Austin, which I'm very happy about.  :)  

Probably with the psycholinguists and some of the syntax/semantics folks. :)

Ohhh UT Austin will be fantastic. I have family in Austin - it's an awesome place to live!

(for most of the visit at UMD people kept make jokes about how shitty College Park is - so there's that)

Probably with the psycholinguists and some of the syntax/semantics folks. :)

Ohhh UT Austin will be fantastic. I have family in Austin - it's an awesome place to live!

(for most of the visit at UMD people kept make jokes about how shitty College Park is - so there's that)

Congratulations! Maryland is an awesome school for psycholinguistics! I'm happy for you :) 

You're gonna miss the weather here in California ;)