Ph.D. Program Timeline?

io13

The ph.d. Program I was accepted into states that its an average of 6-7 years to graduate, I'm just wondering about the approx. timeline. Apparently all students take only 3 classes per semester, and no summer classes, and they all have part-time jobs. I think that there is no masters thesis requirement, and I can opt to do an internship. So for the first year, do I pretty much just take my 6 classes and try to learn more about the field and refine what my interests are? During the second year do I start applying for internships? I'm excited for my 6-7 year commitment but I'm also apprehensive about how much I don't know yet.

So for the first year, do I pretty much just take my 6 classes and try to learn more about the field and refine what my interests are? During the second year do I start applying for internships?

I'd say "yes" to the first question. The second question seems program-specific and I don't think we can answer it.

More generally though, a 6-7 year direct-entry PhD seems like a bit long. In my program the modal time is 5 years, but 6 is not uncommon. In combination with your comment about part time jobs, this raises a red flag for me. Usually what determines when you graduate isn't the courses you take (because those are done in 2-3 years) but rather your research progress. Outside work interferes with research progress and it hints that the program is not funding students enough to devote their full efforts to research.

Two caveats apply: (1) I don't know much about internship-based or applied programs, so the longer program time might be due to the internships. (2) Outside work is not a red flag if it's part of the training. For example, I have a friend in IO who does a lot of business consulting. But if their jobs are all bartending or repairing air conditioners, that's bad.

I don't mean to make you apprehensive or suggest it's a bad program. I mention this so that maybe--if you start on the right foot--you can finish in five or six years instead and not fall into the trap of thinking a 7-year PhD is typical.

The program is barely funded. It's not a good program at all- in fact I know it's considered a safety school, however bc of my low gpa and the fact that it took me 10 years to get my bachelors, it is my only option. The only reason I got in is bc I have killer GRE scores. I will be bartending, until I get my internship which helps pay for my tuition and I will throw myself into that. I'm also doing it bc its important for me to explore a big city while I get my doctorate. I know that the majority of ppl here wouldn't even consider a nonfunded program where they would be required to work, but my situation is different. I feel anxious bc I don't know how soon I need to worry about research, I don't have an idea about what I want to focus on, and it makes me feel better knowing that I at least have my first year to take classes and learn more before having to decide. Thank u for your response! And I have asked to get in touch with a present grad student, but they haven't contacted me back yet. It's been a couple weeks--I know...another red flag.

Thanks for the extra explanation! Sorry to hear about the various program issues, but I'm glad you're going in with eyes open. In real life there are always compromises and "phd that takes longer because you're working part time" is probably better than "no phd at all". Big cities are also more expensive so side work might be more common there too. Best of luck! :)

"phd that takes longer because you're working part time" is probably better than "no phd at all".

I disagree with this heavily, especially if that PhD costs out-of-pocket money or a lot in loans.

But with that aside, OP, a lot of people go into PhD programs unsure of exactly what they want to research.  You should definitely have a general/broad idea, but narrowing it down takes some time.  Many students spend their first year getting acclimated and reading - a lot - to refine their topic.  Typically by the beginning of your second year, you should have identified someone you want to do research with and begin that research.  IT's better if you can do that earlier, like in your second semester, but if you are also working part-time it may take some time.  I think by the time the end of your third year rolls around you should have identified a potential dissertation topic (this is at programs that take 5 years on average, though).  Often you spend your fourth year collecting data/running experiments and your 5th year writing and applying to jobs and postdocs.

I disagree with this heavily, especially if that PhD costs out-of-pocket money or a lot in loans.

Oh, this I agree with completely. The post-PhD job prospects are just not good enough to justify loans, in my opinion. I more meant: If your dream is a PhD in a big city, and working 10 hours a week makes the difference of whether you can do that or not, then it might be worthwhile. (Though normally, in other threads, I've strenuously objected to side work.)

I will take just over 6 years, but I took the stupid route and worked part time from year 3-4, full time in another state for year 4-5 and full time in another state for year 5-6.

When it comes to internships get a read from your faculty. I was not looked upon as a golden child for my methodology, many professors heavily frown upon internships. They seem to be stuck in 1995-2005 when organizations were drooling over newly minted PhDs. Without experience it can be pretty difficult to break into your first role.