How much time should I give myself to prepare for the GRE?

JFK_Aero

Hi:

I was hoping to get people's input as to how much time I should invest into studying for the GRE before I take it. Some additional info:

I am pursuing an undergrad degree in engineering (I feel very confident in my math skills)

My mother tongue is English

I've never taken the GRE or any other standardized test

I am not planning on taking any subject tests

Should I take the whole summer to study 'casually'? Or should I study hard for a month after work hours/on weekends and write within 4 weeks?

Any input is well appreciated.

Thank you

You need to research your desired programmes so as to establish goal scores. Then take a practice test to assess where you are currently, that will give you a good indicator of the amount of study you need to do to reach your goals.

I agree with Tupamaros, but wanted to add that it never hurts to give yourself an extra week or two beyond what you expect to take.  I made a plan based on 6 weeks of studying and booked a test 8 weeks out just in case at the end of the 6 weeks I didn't feel ready.  But, everyone has a style and mine is just happens to be anal retentive.