Fulbright 2014-2015

conservationbiologist14

I was worried that I have not heard anything, but the form shows your acceptance and someone else's rejection. 

I wonder how long I should wait.. What was your email subject?

just 'Fulbright Application Status'

Congrats! Wow, Indonesia is really on the ball letting their applicants know!

I can't wait to hear back! For those who applied to Germany-- did you also apply to DAAD?

I just called Fulbright and was told that "She does not show that any Indonesian acceptance or rejection emails have been sent". Maybe not everything is visible to her though, I left a message on the PC's voicemail. 

(I believe you Frogism)

I can't wait to hear back! For those who applied to Germany-- did you also apply to DAAD?

I applied to DAAD... no idea if it's more/less competitive... I love that they give you "scores" (if you didn't know this, they give you a score of how you did and what was accepted, I applied last year and was rejected obviously). I got like a 6.8/8 (8 was accepted) so I really hope with my cleaned up application this year I'll do better... but as I recall I didn't hear until very late March or early April. 

I applied to DAAD... no idea if it's more/less competitive... I love that they give you "scores" (if you didn't know this, they give you a score of how you did and what was accepted, I applied last year and was rejected obviously). I got like a 6.8/8 (8 was accepted) so I really hope with my cleaned up application this year I'll do better... but as I recall I didn't hear until very late March or early April. 

Oh whoa-- no, I didn't know about the 'scoring' system. How did you find out about your score? And do they tell you why you got the score that you did (ex. like a grading rubric)?

At least you know a bit about what the DAAD looks for.

And Good luck to you!! It sounds like you are in a good position for both grants.

Yes, I've also applied to DAAD and haven't heard anything except for when they received my complete application.

@FB2014Aussie I am also an Australia applicant and I almost had a heart ache when I saw you commented since I havent heard anything. Hope it is tomorrow!

Haha mdog - I'm just ready for all the wait to be over! This wait has gone on far too long!  They said "three weeks," so I am hoping that it is sometime tomorrow!

Not sure how I feel about contributing to your torture, but here is the e-mail I got from IIE last year:

Subject was just "Fulbright Application Status"

Congratulations!  We are pleased to inform you that you have been selected for a Fulbright U.S. Student award for 2013-2014 to Germany.  Shortly you will receive a letter from the J. William Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board with further details of the award.  This letter will be sent to the mailing address listed in your application and noted above. This address will remain your corresponding address unless you notify us in writing, via email to your IIE Program Manager.

In the meantime, be aware that this award is contingent upon your obtaining: medical clearance; a bachelor's degree, if graduating this year; official research clearance from the host country, where applicable; and required visas.

Please note that all selected candidates will be required to submit a Medical History and Examination Form before the grant can be finalized.  The form must be completed and signed by a licensed physician and reviewed by the U.S.  Department of State for medical clearance. 

The medical form has been posted online along with instructions and other information pertinent to your grant. You should print out the form and have it completed in accordance with the timelines described in the cover memorandum.

Please bookmark this url:

Pre-Departure Resources: http://us.fulbrightonline.org/resources-for-pre-grantees 

We urge you to visit this page regularly for important pre-departure information and updates.  It is your responsibility to keep fully informed of and to comply with all grant award requirements.

The Fulbright Commission in Germany will contact you soon with further information on grant administration and pre-departure preparation. If at any time in the coming months, you determine that you will not be able to accept the Fulbright award, please be sure to notify IIE immediately.

Again, congratulations on your accomplishments and we look forward to working with you.

Sincerely,

Daniel Kramer
Director, U.S. Student Programs
Institute of International Education
809 United Nations Plaza
New York, NY  10017

Here's my alternate e-mail from last year:

We are keenly aware of the pressure on candidates to make their plans for the coming year.  Therefore, we want you to know the status of your candidacy for a Fulbright award for 2013-2014 to Malta. You have been designated as an alternate for the Fulbright U.S. Student Program. Thus you would receive an award only in the event someone withdraws or additional funding becomes available. It is our hope that you would be available to accept a grant should it be offered at a later date. In the meantime, it is important that you advise us immediately if there is any factor that could preclude your accepting the award.

The majority of principal candidates are given one month to make their decisions regarding acceptance or declination of an award. You can assume that the principal candidates for your country are being notified simultaneously with this notice to you. Therefore, you can estimate the time frame in which most students will accept or decline their award offers. Please note, however, that there are grantees each year who accept the Fulbright award initially but, due to unforeseen circumstances, need to decline the award later on. In addition, every year additional funding becomes available in the late spring. Your chance of hearing from us will be greatest in May and June, then steadily decline as the months go on. For that reason, you will remain on the alternate list through the summer and into the academic year unless you withdraw, in writing, from the competition. 

No additional information should be sent to us in support of your application, as it will have no effect on your status. Also, please be advised that in the event that we can offer you a Fulbright award, we will try to contact you by telephone or email first. If you need to update any of your contact information, please let us know in writing. You will receive no further correspondence on your status unless you are offered an award.

We appreciate your interest in the Fulbright Program.

Sincerely,

Daniel Kramer
Director, U.S. Student Programs

Copy to Fulbright Program Adviser (if enrolled)

Torrid and tieloran, THANK YOU!!! I totally did a "fan-girl" scream when I saw the "congratulations." Then I remembered I wasn't reading my email hahaha Soon!!! 

Congratulations to the applicants that heard some news today! Knowing is better than waiting lol An a double congratulations to those who got the grant/ETA! I hope they keep those precious emails rollin'! Is it too much to ask Fulbright to release notifications of 3 countries minimum a day? haha Wishful thinking...  :rolleyes:

Oh whoa-- no, I didn't know about the 'scoring' system. How did you find out about your score? And do they tell you why you got the score that you did (ex. like a grading rubric)?

And Good luck to you!! It sounds like you are in a good position for both grants.

I don't really remember... I was in a fit of distress when I got that letter, because I was rejected from EVERYTHING last year so by the time DAAD rolled around i was like RALKJ:LKAJFL:KJD:LSKFJSLKDJ!!! and just threw it out. Here's hoping this year will go better for me :) Thank you!

Oh and yeah the score was just listed on my application-- said according to our scoring system you got a 6.8 and the accepted score was 8. I kind of appreciated it honestly, sometimes it's nice to know how you did compared to the winning people, like, were you lightyears away from winning or did you at least have a decently good chance. 

Hey guys... Im dying to find out too. I applied for the Fulbright Colombia ETA and am wondering if anyone out there has any inside info on when the announcements will be made. It's driving me *NUTS*. Also, Did everyone recommended for the Colombia ETA 2014-2015 have an interview on Skype? Maybe that is good news? So many questionssssss!! Best luck to you all!! =)

Welcome Brian!

I applied for ETA Fulbright. There are a few others following who applied as well. I'm dying to find out too. I keep checking my email and this forum like every 5 secs. Make sure you put your info on the spreadsheet. I had an interview with Colombia Fulbright back in Feb. Suerte!

Edited by Cynti

Welcome Brian!

I applied for ETA Fulbright. There are a few others following who applied as well. I'm dying to find out too. I keep checking my email and this forum like every 5 secs. Make sure you put your info on the spreadsheet. I had an interview with Colombia Fulbright back in Feb. Suerte!

Cynti, is there a 2014-2015 google doc yet for us to put in the information? 

Cynti, is there a 2014-2015 google doc yet for us to put in the information? 

Hey Brian, welcome to the forum- here's the link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AsJrSSHnssqFdHNPell4VVZwWDgtWUpQcTVVeWM0bWc&usp=sharing

If you go to the "Notification Dates" sheet you'll see that last year Colombia got their notices on March 7.  

I'm a Colombia ETA applicant as well, anxiously awaiting that email so I can make plans for next year.  Good luck to both you and Cynti, I hope we all get to go!

Any news from Peru or Brazil? It looks like historically they should be maybe the next ones notified.

It looks like France maybe be notified anytime between mid to late March...hopefully I only have 10 more days to go?

Just for any other Indonesian people out there - we have not all been notified. My FA knows nothing either. I guess for us the wait continues. 

Been lurking for a while now and nearly had a heart attack when I saw that Indonesia notifications have started going out...is it typical for notifications for a single country to be spread out over a few days?  I'm still anxiously waiting for an email from IIE to appear in my inbox....

Edited by polyglot17

Been lurking for a while now and nearly had a heart attack when I saw that Indonesia notifications have started going out...is it typical for notifications for a single country to be spread out over a few days? I'm still anxiously waiting for an email from IIE to appear in my inbox....

Not normal, but it happened to Norway last year. I was part of a group that had to wait an extra week to hear results due to the sequester.