Fulbright 2014-2015

conservationbiologist14

It's more so my roommate than my parents.

My mom was eerily accurate though about when recommendations were going to go out. She had said end of January and at the beginning of the week (even though it's traditionally mid- January and on a Thursday or Friday) and sure enough she was right.

Does she have any thoughts about final results? ;P

Still awaiting results from Germany. Got a rejection notice from DAAD so I'm not too optimistic about Fulbright at this point. I feel my Fulbright application was stronger due to a campus interview and the section on being a cultural ambassador, but since DAAD was the same project I feel like it's time to throw in the towel at this point.

Nevertheless, I'll be going over on a fellowship through my home university if Fulbright doesn't work out, so my research getting done isn't on the line if I get rejected. 

Still awaiting results from Germany. Got a rejection notice from DAAD so I'm not too optimistic about Fulbright at this point. I feel my Fulbright application was stronger due to a campus interview and the section on being a cultural ambassador, but since DAAD was the same project I feel like it's time to throw in the towel at this point.

Nevertheless, I'll be going over on a fellowship through my home university if Fulbright doesn't work out, so my research getting done isn't on the line if I get rejected. 

I'm feeling the same way. Rejected from DAAD, rather disappointing, so I'm guessing Fulbright might not happen for me now. Sigh. 

I'm feeling the same way. Rejected from DAAD, rather disappointing, so I'm guessing Fulbright might not happen for me now. Sigh. 

Hopefully the "yes DAAD, no Fulbright/ no DAAD, yes Fulbright" relationship is actually true.

Crossing my fingers and toes for you and sending you guys big internet hugs.

Hi SazeracScholar

I'm in the same boat as you. Got a rejection from DAAD, and therefore, am not as hopeful as before regarding the Fulbright. I even discussed this already with my FPA and contact abroad and both are willing to continue to support me thru the re-application process. (I won't be dissuaded that easily!)

But you're right-- we have the campus interview and other aspects that hit on the Fulbright mission that are not required for the DAAD, which makes our Fulbright application as a whole different from the DAAD. So i'm going to hold onto hope for us, and for any others that are in a similar situation.

And good luck to everyone!! This forum has been so helpful throughout the entire process (application, interview, waiting, stressing...and more waiting). Just wanted to give a thanks to y'all :)

I just keep on thinking about what I would do if I got the Fulbright...

During my year teaching, I would start some music classes to teach/help teach the children Western music theory, maybe even buy a piano with donations from the community and teach the students/parents/teachers how to play. I would print out music sheets and help them learn how to read music. Then during the week I would chat with students during English groups. I will have games like Guess Who, Taboo, and Pictionary to play during class. The kids will laugh and be shy, but it's okay. Then during recess I would teach them my childhood playground games like Helicopter, Freeze Tag, and Vietnamese Jump Rope. Then the children would teach me their games, and we'll have a fun 'ol time miscommunicating and someone's going to play something wrong, lol. But it's okay because we'll see each other again the next day, and we'll try again.

Sigh... Fulbright...

I decided I like the idea of finding out Tuesday, April 1st. That way I will both submit my thesis and find out about Fulbright at the same time. If I get it, I'll have double the reason to celebrate and if I don't I'll be able to think that at least one thing that accomplished.

I decided I like the idea of finding out Tuesday, April 1st. That way I will both submit my thesis and find out about Fulbright at the same time. If I get it, I'll have double the reason to celebrate and if I don't I'll be able to think that at least one thing that accomplished.

I like the optimism :)

That's true Gnosis. I will admit that I don't want to find out on April Fools Day but as long as the news is good I'm willing to believe anything on that day. Haha i will probably call the office to confirm though lol

Hopefully the "yes DAAD, no Fulbright/ no DAAD, yes Fulbright" relationship is actually true.

Crossing my fingers and toes for you and sending you guys big internet hugs.

I was reading some of the old threads and I saw a few people mentioning having both DAAD and Fulbright, so I'm not sure if that is true...

Hi SazeracScholar

I'm in the same boat as you. Got a rejection from DAAD, and therefore, am not as hopeful as before regarding the Fulbright. I even discussed this already with my FPA and contact abroad and both are willing to continue to support me thru the re-application process. (I won't be dissuaded that easily!)

But you're right-- we have the campus interview and other aspects that hit on the Fulbright mission that are not required for the DAAD, which makes our Fulbright application as a whole different from the DAAD. So i'm going to hold onto hope for us, and for any others that are in a similar situation.

And good luck to everyone!! This forum has been so helpful throughout the entire process (application, interview, waiting, stressing...and more waiting). Just wanted to give a thanks to y'all :)

You guys had an interview for Fulbright? I didn't lol. I had an audition though because I applied as a classical singer.

I was thinking about that but last year they found out in MAY about Vietnam :( hopefully it is much sooner than that... I feel as if this email will never come

I am optimistic that we'll hear soon! Although, I emailed the advisor for SE Asia and he did not reply...

I am optimistic that we'll hear soon! Although, I emailed the advisor for SE Asia and he did not reply...

Please tell us about the response when you hear!

Yeah hopefully!! Asia needs to get the ball rolling haha! And yeah it would be awesome if the advisor replied... I've been tempted to email just because the daily wait is getting torturous. 

I just got accepted into James Cook University in Australia! Now I just need the moneys to go, haha

By the way, does anybody know how to go about getting the university to waive tuition (if I get a fulbright)? 

Edited by mdog3000

Hello fellow Fulbrighters-in-waiting!  Current DAAD-Stipendiat here, now applying for a research grant to sunny Bulgaria in ethnomusicology/composition.  Anyone wanting to chat re: DAAD vs. Fulbright, Germany, Bulgaria hopefuls, or ethnographic tuning system theory, holla back!  Missouri loves company.

No doubt it's a sore [and egregiously over-discussed] subject, here as elsewhere, but is everyone confident the Fulbright programme will continue to exist in the coming years?  This link has floated around recently in other places: <http://www.savefulbright.org/>.  Wondering if anyone knows what the funding situation for the State Dept is/will be, and how that will affect the future of the Fulbright?  I'm aware it's a matching system with the host country, but everything seems to be in a state of flux as of the present writing (though not any more or less than last year, by my recollection!).  I assume that funding for the 2014/15 cycle ought to be confirmed from last year's budget [true??], so we ought to be in the clear for applications currently under consideration.  Maybe this has already been discussed?  118 pages of text is daunting however....

For folks still waiting, having run this gauntlet before [and I mean "gauntlet" in its most blood-curdling British navy cat-o-nine-tails sense of the word], my advice is to keep busy with other activities.  Besides, worry is fundamentally a misuse of imagination - to worry about a given situation presupposes such a knowledge and control over a given situation that it is in fact a form of hubris. De-emphasize anxiety: you don't know enough to worry.  At the end of a life studying the I Ching, Li Po Yang was asked what he had learned from his dedicated study.  He concluded: "Worry is preposterous."  Go enjoy the springtime sunshine.

love & light to everyone

Edited by shibboleth12

I just got accepted into James Cook University in Australia! Now I just need the moneys to go, haha

By the way, does anybody know how to go about getting the university to waive tuition (if I get a fulbright)?

Congratulations, man! I guess you haven't heard back from the Australian Fulbright commission yet?

I can't believe it! I'm an ETA to Thailand! The message was in my Spam folder. Good luck everyone!

I didn't get anything... either AmyPhD--who just made (presumably) her account--is trolling, or I really didn't get anything.

Edited by kbui