Fulbright 2014-2015

conservationbiologist14

Two months since recommendations went out. One way or another, we are all impressive for holding on.

Very true.

It's also given me a new perspective on applying for things: "Oh I could apply to fellowship X, I only have to wait 2 months for an answer", "Oh this looks cool and it's less work than the Fulbright application."

Congratulations, man! I guess you haven't heard back from the Australian Fulbright commission yet?

No I haven't heard anything back. I feel like they don't intend to reply. 

Also, I noticed on the Google doc that several of the Australia applicants info has been deleted. There were 5 and now there's only 3

For those of you who applied to Taiwan, I emailed the ETA program coordinator yesterday. Here is her response: 

Date: Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 11:50 PM

Subject: RE: ETA Inquiry

To:

You should receive the result around mid of April from IIE in New York.

Best,

Kelly

Thank you for sharing this! 

Like the minusthehare, I was hoping to have a decision early April but surprised to see that she specified it!

It's not looking like good news for our Polish forum buddies so far :(

Or, as I've just noticed, for the Greek applicants either :(

Maybe they sent rejections first? There are still quite a few not updated.

That's a good point.

I have asked this question on the forum before, but I'd be interested to hear your  answer: How much of your first application did you keep and how much did you start from scratch on (did you have your letters of rec re-written, etc.)?

I applied for a different country this time around. Last year I had also applied for a different research grant (which I didn't receive) with the same institution I'm applying to for Fulbright this year and utilized some of those materials. This time around, I used the same affiliation from that grant application, but I worked with them more closely to come up with a  more specific, more planned out project and they wrote me a much stronger letter of affiliation (maybe they recognized that I was determined since I was coming back for a second go at it). I used two of the same recommendation letter writers, only replacing the last one because I had someone new who I had worked with more recently and had a closer tie to German research. I didn't specifically ask that letters be re-written, but I was very specific in my updated requests about the scope of the new project. I don't know if this all worked, but I guess I'll just wait and see! I wouldn't say it felt like I was starting any of it from scratch as I had those previous materials to work with, but I don't think that much of it (outside of the general ideas/essence) ended up much like the original drafts from the previous application.

Edited by Breenok

Hey all! Just found out that I was not selected for the Spain ETA. I'm still sort of letting it sink in....but that's life, I guess! There's always the future. More chances to apply, other things to apply for...we'll see! Best of luck to everyone who is still in the running! 

GRAD CAFE COMMMUNITY I GOT THE ETA AWARD TO GO TO SPAIN OMG IM SO HAPPY!!!!!!!! I THOUGHT THEY WERE GOING TO TELL ME BY MID APRIL BUT THEY TOLD ME JUST NOW OMG AHHH!!!!!! I CANT BELIEVE THIS!!!!!!!!

YAAAAY CONGRATS!! I am so glad one of us from here got it! :D Felicidades!! 

YAAAAY CONGRATS!! I am so glad one of us from here got it! :D Felicidades!! 

MUCHAS GRACIAS IM SCREAMING AT THE TOP OF MY LUNGS!!! I DIDN'T EXPECT TO HEAR SO EARLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! VIVA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AH IVE NEVER BEEN TO SPAIN!!!!!!! OMGOMOMGOMGMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOGM

Accepted to Spain too! Brb, hyperventilating!

GRAD CAFE COMMMUNITY I GOT THE ETA AWARD TO GO TO SPAIN OMG IM SO HAPPY!!!!!!!! I THOUGHT THEY WERE GOING TO TELL ME BY MID APRIL BUT THEY TOLD ME JUST NOW OMG AHHH!!!!!! I CANT BELIEVE THIS!!!!!!!!

:D Muchas felicidades a ustedes dos. ¡Que alegria!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On another note,

Fellow waegukins, if USA.J is right, then it in only a few minutes more. I'm dying and increasingly convinced I didn't  get it. Good luck to all and congratualitions to those that get good news. 

GE

Hey all! Just found out that I was not selected for the Spain ETA. I'm still sort of letting it sink in....but that's life, I guess! There's always the future. More chances to apply, other things to apply for...we'll see! Best of luck to everyone who is still in the running! 

Sorry to hear that, but I love your positive attitude! Like you said, this is not the end at all, but rather one of many awesome opportunities that you will apply for!!!! Best of luck to you in all of your future endeavors!!!

MUCHAS GRACIAS IM SCREAMING AT THE TOP OF MY LUNGS!!! I DIDN'T EXPECT TO HEAR SO EARLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! VIVA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AH IVE NEVER BEEN TO SPAIN!!!!!!! OMGOMOMGOMGMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOGM

FELICIDADES POR SER ACEPTADO! (I don't speak spanish, that's from google translate haha)

I'm smiling from ear to ear at your excitement! I hope to feel the same way in a couple of weeks!!!!

You have an excellent attitude! All the best to you in your future applications. :-)