Fulbright 2014-2015

conservationbiologist14

i JUST GOT THE EMAIL! GOING TO JAPAAAAN! 

SUBJECT: Fulbright Application Status (P)

IM DYINGGGG

うわ〜 最高だ! :lol: !!!!!

おめでとうございます!日本のどこに行くの???めっちゃいいじゃん!!!! :P  :P  :D  

よく頑張った!

Can anyone who has received a final response from IIE please confirm the email domain? Is it iie.org that you received an email from? I want to make sure that the email doesn't go to my spam folder - that happened in January when we were notified of recommendation status. 

Can anyone who has received a final response from IIE please confirm the email domain? Is it iie.org that you received an email from? I want to make sure that the email doesn't go to my spam folder - that happened in January when we were notified of recommendation status. 

It showed up as " Fulbright U.S. Student Program" even though it was from Ms. O'Malley (eomalley@iie.org).

Are there any other folks out there who applied to Peru? I only see a few on past years' excel sheets but I'm sure there must be more of us! 

I feel like I check my email every five minutes nowadays. :) Also, to folks who are concerned about April 15th graduate school deposit deadlines-- most of the programs that I had applied to that allow for a one-year deferment give you up until early August to request that deferment, and you don't lose your deposit. That might be true of your programs, too. 

Sending good vibes to everyone. 

hey eatyourgreen!

I've been waiting for someone from Peru to post something, been lurking here for a while :) I applied for the  ETA and I'm dyingg to hear back. Unfortunately, according to the excel sheets from two years ago, applicants didnt hear back until mid april so I guess it's just a waiting game for us at this point. I'm hoping we'll hear back soon though!

hey eatyourgreen!

I've been waiting for someone from Peru to post something, been lurking here for a while :) I applied for the  ETA and I'm dyingg to hear back. Unfortunately, according to the excel sheets from two years ago, applicants didnt hear back until mid april so I guess it's just a waiting game for us at this point. I'm hoping we'll hear back soon though!

Ah that's so exciting! I applied for a research grant to conduct oral histories with community health workers and study the on the ground implementation of recent public health policy aimed at curbing rates of maternal mortality among indigenous women. I'd be based in Lima but would hope to do in-residence stays elsewhere in the country. Do you know where you'd be teaching out of? 

I think you're right that we could be in for a longer wait-- but Peru has such a strong relationship with IIE/Fulbright (Lima is Fulbright's Regional Educational Advising Coordination site for all of South America and Peru has a well-established Fogarty scholarship program in Lima) and I was hoping that might mean things would speed along. We'll see! Keeping my fingers crossed and sending out good vibes for us both!

EDIT: Also, here's the Fulbright Peru webpage! Not much extra information but you can see the Fulbright Board that will decide our fates! Haha. http://www.fulbright.pe/e_about_us.php

Edited by eatyourgreens

Been lurking for about a week now, congrats to everyone who's gotten good news so far! I decided to make an account as a way of further procrastinating on all the grading I should be doing rather than obsessively checking this forum and my email. Anyone else on here who's also applied to the Czech Republic? 

According to the spreadsheet, applicants to the Czech Republic were notified on the last Wednesday of March for the last three years, which has already passed. I'm going insane.

OMG! Congratulations! That is amazing! What is your project?

Thanks everyone! Gnosis, my project focuses on the role of Japanese women in their fight for gender equality during the Occupation. I'm a history major so I'll be working with historical documents and oral histories to recast the dominant narrative that celebrates the roles of General MacArthur and the American Occupation in promoting women’s rights as a story of Japanese women’s successful, feminist activism. I'm so excited for this!

Also, those who've been accepted, did anyone send an email back to the iie program? I'm not sure if I'm supposed to email them back to notify them that i will be accepting the award?

Hello everyone! I've been lurking since January, and I just wanted to shout out that I've gotten the Fulbright to Japan as well! As expected, there was the notification in the subject line, but I actually was notified from my grant advisor first because the Fulbright e-mail was delegated to spam.

bangkang, your project sounds really fascinating. I'm extremely interested in the Occupation era and recasting narratives from that time, so I hope to meet you and learn more about your ideas and project!

As for mine, I'm going to Okinawa to do some work on the Ryukyuan languages and work with the communities there on a variety of projects, including, ideally, a documentary. We'll see how that all pans out! Best of luck to everyone! No matter what happens, at least the waiting game will be over soon. :)

Been lurking for about a week now, congrats to everyone who's gotten good news so far! I decided to make an account as a way of further procrastinating on all the grading I should be doing rather than obsessively checking this forum and my email. Anyone else on here who's also applied to the Czech Republic? 

According to the spreadsheet, applicants to the Czech Republic were notified on the last Wednesday of March for the last three years, which has already passed. I'm going insane.

Hi Vodnik,

I have been lurking for a few weeks, but signed up to answer you as another applicant to the Czech Republic. Like you, based on past years I thought we would have heard by now. In that it takes 90-120 days for a long term visa from what I understand, we'll have sit tight a little longer and then apply as soon as possible (in sales this is called the presumptive close). Let's visualize meeting next September for orientation in Prague! Whatever happens, this is such a supportive community, one that I have come to appreciate as I don't know anyone else who applied this year.

Edited by Esme_Praha

With each day, I analyze every single event of my interview. I'm sure we're all in the same boat. I guess we all have to remember that EVERYONE is doing that and we all were probably surprised by something and didn't think we knocked every single question out of the park!

Here's to hoping we ALL find out this week! Will it happen? No...but I still want it. :-)

Hey y'all--

Congrats to everyone that found out today! I applied to Venezuela as an ETA (I think I'm the only one on this forum), and I heard back from the South America program manager on a timeline for decisions. It may apply to broader South American applicants? Not sure, but I figured I'd put it out there as a PSA.

Muendl, Susan
3:52 PM (12 minutes ago)
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
to me
cleardot.gif

Hi Braeden,

Decisions may be available in mid- to late April.

Best regards,

Susan

Sent: Saturday, March 29, 2014 4:53 PM
To: Muendl, Susan
Subject: Re: Fulbright ETA Pre-Departure Orientation Save-the-D