Fulbright 2014-2015

conservationbiologist14

Hello everyone! I've been lurking since January, and I just wanted to shout out that I've gotten the Fulbright to Japan as well! As expected, there was the notification in the subject line, but I actually was notified from my grant advisor first because the Fulbright e-mail was delegated to spam.

bangkang, your project sounds really fascinating. I'm extremely interested in the Occupation era and recasting narratives from that time, so I hope to meet you and learn more about your ideas and project!

As for mine, I'm going to Okinawa to do some work on the Ryukyuan languages and work with the communities there on a variety of projects, including, ideally, a documentary. We'll see how that all pans out! Best of luck to everyone! No matter what happens, at least the waiting game will be over soon. :)

Hey! I'm also currently writing a history senior thesis on Okinawa too, so that's really interesting that you're Fulbright project is on Okinawa! Albeit, my thesis on the struggles of Okinawan war memory in the post-cold war era (late 1980s-1990s). I might also travel a few times to Okinawa with my fulbright project if they allow me to do so. Let's keep in contact until our program starts in Japan! 

also congrats!!

Edited by bangkang

Hey everyone!

I've been lurking here for quite some time, but I finally decided to say hello. My boyfriend broke up with me a week ago and I figure it's far healthier to focus on hopeful things (like the possibility of a Fulbright!) than crying/scouring the internet for tips on how to get someone back.

Sigh. 

ANYWAY. I'm waiting to hear back about an ETA to Malaysia! Any other Malaysia applicants hanging around here?

Edited by sorubo

Hello everyone! I've been lurking since January, and I just wanted to shout out that I've gotten the Fulbright to Japan as well! As expected, there was the notification in the subject line, but I actually was notified from my grant advisor first because the Fulbright e-mail was delegated to spam.

bangkang, your project sounds really fascinating. I'm extremely interested in the Occupation era and recasting narratives from that time, so I hope to meet you and learn more about your ideas and project!

As for mine, I'm going to Okinawa to do some work on the Ryukyuan languages and work with the communities there on a variety of projects, including, ideally, a documentary. We'll see how that all pans out! Best of luck to everyone! No matter what happens, at least the waiting game will be over soon. :)

CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU AS WELL!  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Hey everyone!

I've been lurking here for quite some time, but I finally decided to say hello. My boyfriend broke up with me a week ago and I figure it's far healthier to focus on hopeful things (like the possibility of a Fulbright!) than crying/scouring the internet for tips on how to get someone back.

Sigh. 

ANYWAY. I'm waiting to hear back about an ETA to Malaysia! Any other Malaysia applicants hanging around here?

Keep your head up! You're right, you have a great thing to look forward to! All the best to ya! 

Hey everyone! Fulbright Turkey also released decisions today and I found out that I'm an alternate! It somehow feels like I'm in the exact same position I was before I got the email lol

HI everyone!!

Fulbright Turkey did release decisions today and I got in!!! Oh my god I'm typing this in the middle of jumping up and down like a crazy person!

My heart started beating like crazy when I saw the (P) next to the email.

Any other Turkey ETA peeps on here??

..Do they ever send out emails after 5 p.m. EST, or should I just stop checking my email and go home from work? :)

Also, congrats to everyone who heard back today! How exciting.

My thoughts exactly....what time do ya'll give up each day? haha

My thoughts exactly....what time do ya'll give up each day? haha

Same. I'm about to give up on checking my email. 

Congrats to everyone who heard back today! And hang in there to those who are alternates or those who might have to search for different opportunities. 

I got my hopes up so much today! This has been a very good exercise in patience, tranquility, and uncertainty -- maybe it's meant to prepare us for the tough road we might have to face as Fulbright-ers?  

Didn't get Mexico...

Designed an entire course around my project at a top-ten school

Won a $10,000 grant for my host insitution and am traveling with their researchers in LA for two weeks this semester

Spent 100+ hours on application

Couldn't hear their questions in the interview due to a muffled connection

And so it goes.

Didn't get Mexico...

Won a $10,000 grant for my host insitution and am traveling with their researchers in LA for two weeks this semester

And so it goes.

:( I'm sorry...

Didn't get Mexico...

And so it goes.

:(....I hate to say "everything happens for a reason" but try to stay positive...I know stuff like this is heart breaking especially if you model your entire research around it...I really hope you find other funding opportunities ...:( 

To everyone who has been accepted (ETAs):

Does the email include anything regarding the city/location you will be placed in? Or do you have any idea when we'll find out? :)

I think each country is different. I know Korea has ETAs fill out preference forms about halfway through orientation and then matches them in a formal ceremony about a week later. 

Not selected for Mexico graduate degree grant...

Not surprising, as the interview didn't go as I hoped. Although, I found out after applying to Fulbright that all students accepted into the phd program I am applying to automatically recieve full funding.

So it's back to work on that application!

Hey all,

I was talking to someone the other day who was worried about their GPA in terms of getting a Fulbright. What do you guys think? i personally think it doesn't, especially if you already got recommended. Does anyone have any thoughts to share on the matter?

Btw, congratulations to all those who got awarded and condolences to others who didn't =(

Edited by ginagoestokorea

Hi everyone,

I've been a lurker here for a while and I'm sorry to out myself just to ask for some advice, but I feel a bit lost at sea where I am.  First, congratulations to all who've been awarded!  This is so great!  Second, I want to urge those who haven't to not be worried, as worry is bad for the heart and soul.  I've gotten so many rejections in my life it's been awful but things work out in a more difficult way somehow.

Third, I have been recommended for a Cambodian research grant but I only got the notice that I have a skype interview next Wednesday just today.  I haven't seen anyone interested in Cambodia show up, but could anyone offer me ANY sort of advice for these interviews?  I'm in Canada and this is one of the few funding options I have as an American PhD student, so I am pretty worried (obviously my previous words are a more 'do what I say,' suggestion).

Anyway, what can I do in a week full of TAing and 'writing' to prepare?  Anyone with any advice?  I could use any help or suggestions, etc.

Sorry to take up the time and intrude on an already close-knit group of people. I can see how supportive you are of each other and I am just finding myself with no one here irl who was both awarded the fulbright and has had an interview for it (I don't know if it's because my fellow PhDers are studying African countries or what).

too long! anyway: advice for a skype interview?

thank you, darce

Didn't get Mexico...

And so it goes.

My condolences, I hope all the best for you moving forward. As one of my advisors said... "if you don't get what you want...don't start watching TV. Things get bad when you start watching TV." Grieve and continue to move forward... this is something I've had to remind myself when things that I have put my blood, sweat, and tears into don't work out....something else always comes out of the work you put in, it just may come indirectly. 

Hi! I am new to this site and am wondering if there is any group via gradcafe or facebook for ETA Spain 2014-2015 Fulbrighters?  

I got the Spain ETA grant too--but I don't think there's a Facebook group yet! Congrats <3 

Hey all,

I was talking to someone the other day who was worried about their GPA in terms of getting a Fulbright. What do you guys think? i personally think it doesn't, especially if you already got recommended. Does anyone have any thoughts to share on the matter?

Btw, congratulations to all those who got awarded and condolences to others who didn't =(

One person who commented ont he very first pages of this group said she had less than a 3.0 and she was able to get the ETA grant to Brazil..so although the GPA could potentially play a factor in decision-making i think it's all about the statements/background/experience etc. 

Hey all,

PS she's on the very first page her name is Krys135 I think..she had a 2.9