Fulbright 2014-2015

conservationbiologist14

Congratulations on your alternate status (because there is still hope), but I am sorry that you have to go through this experience again. It hasn't even been a whole month for me and I am already tired of this limbo business. I really hope you get bumped up this time and SOON.

Thanks, olioliwoo. At least we're in this together!!!

Call me a total newbie, but what does this 'P' in the subject line mean?

"Principal" status. which means you got the award. A is alternate, NS is not selected. Do any of the subject lines actually include NS on them?? ?If so that's cruel :/

congratulations!!! i am hoping that all of these Asian notifications means that Vietnam will be released soon. 

Congratulations!!!!! That is fantastic!!!!!! And (P) stands for Principle Candidate. There is also (NS) Non-Select or (A) Alternate. 

CONGRATS!!! I was really rooting for you and am so happy that you got it !!! :)

CONGRATSSS!!!!!!! :)

Thank you all so much! I am in so much shock! This is absolutely AMAZING! I really appreciate the forum and was so glad to have accidentally come across it to go through the motions with all of you. What an honor! I am so shocked!

Accepted to Taiwan! And there was a P in the subject line.

CONGRATS!!! 

Looks like Monday has started strong with two countries already finding out! 

Thanks Mozartgirl53!  Yes...Sweden still has not sent out notifications, but they should come any day now (I've been saying that for 3 weeks...but who's counting).

Wow, that's so cool that your brother works at the National Lab!  I'm interested in organic chemistry/chemical biology.  If I get to go to Sweden, I would work in an academic group at Uppsala University that is developing small molecule therapies (i.e. drugs) for hepatitis C.  Hopefully the Swedish Fulbright Commission is as excited about this project as I am!

Hi cgerry14, Yes, it is cool that my brother works at a national lab! Before Lawrence, he was at Pacific Bell up here (Washington) at Hanford. He is trying to find a way to store nuclear waste in a safer manner; you may have read about his project--he wants to turn the waste into ceramic bricks...easy to store and not nearly as much uranium going into the atmosphere. But unfortunately, there is something very UNcool about working at a National Lab right now-- remember the sequester? The federal government stopped funding the national labs. And they haven't started again very much. Also, any project that says "nuclear" in it is very unpopular with Congress right now, even though he isn't creating nuclear waste, he's trying to solve the waste issue. Luckily, Jonathan was able to get a couple of grants to carry him through thus far, but he's at the end of that now and looking for another job. He will probably end up in Germany, where funding is much more plentiful. So I'll get up on my soapbox  here and say that we're (Americans) always talking about how other countries are ahead of us in STEM learning and science in particular. Yet we're unwilling to provide the money necessary, both in secondary and higher education, to get kids interested in going into scientific pursuits, and then we cut off funding scientists! We will always be behind in science as long as we're not paying scientists! So if we're serious in wanting to be on top of the scientific community we need to put our money where our mouth is! Also, the scientific community is a global community; scientists are the perfect example of how countries can cooperate and scientists see the great value of collaboration. So if our government won't send any scientists to conferences around the world or fund any over seas work, we're kinda out of the loop. Europe is doing great things scientifically-- France is running experiments very similar to what my brother is doing and Germany is kind of a "hub" for scientific work. My brother did go to Japan for a few weeks last year to consult on the nuclear spill, but the Japanese government funded that. So we're in sort of reverse brain drain here where scientists are leaving the U.S. to pursue better opportunities in Europe and Asia. OK.... down from my soapbox!  :-)  Your Hep C project sounds both fascinating  and practical! I really hope you get to do it!  Curing or at least mitigating Hep C would be a wonderful boon to humankind.

Call me a total newbie, but what does this 'P' in the subject line mean?

P= Pass

A= Ahahahhaa

NS= No Sorry

gl noob! ANY DAY NOW ROK...

Just spoke to Jermaine. Sub-Saharan folks, you should be getting notifications this week, he is waiting for the State Department for approval. "My colleagues in DC are working very hard to get those approval done. You should be hearing by the end of this week." Ahh, can't wait. I just wanna know --whether selected or not. This 'I don't know what I'm doing with my life yet' is not fun.

Hey all, long-time lurker, first-time poster. Applied for a Fulbright ETA in Taiwan, and was notified today of my "alternate" status. So here's hoping some more funding becomes available. Anyone have any experiences moving up from alternate to principal?

In any case, congratulations to all those selected - I hope to be joining you in Taiwan in the fall! Also thank you to everyone on the forum for making me realize that I haven't been alone in my neurotic email-checking habits the past few weeks.  :)

We need more news of alternate to accepted. So far I think we only have had this happen to one forum member  : /

Don't lose hope! Lots of grad schools have deposit deadlines of April 15th, so maybe there are people who were accepted to both grad school and Fulbright and will decide to put deposits down for grad school instead! 

It's still pretty early for Alternate to turn. It's like college admissions--a lot can change between notifications and summer. That is why the summer melt is a thing. Just be patient; hope is not lost for Alternates.

Brazil actually has a different Program Manager (Jody Dudderar) than the rest of the Western Hemisphere.  I'm waiting for Colombia as well and would be immensely grateful if you wanted to call our PM Susan Muendl - I emailed her a few weeks ago and that was the source of the "mid-April" info.  I was actually thinking about calling today as well, so if you can't do it let me know, and I'll make a point of trying to do it sometime this afternoon when I can get away from my desk (and boss) at work.

Anyways, here's the contact info (from http://us.fulbrightonline.org/countries/selectedregion/18):
Susan Muendl
212-984-5366
smuendl@iie.org

I fully support you calling! I'm too scared :)

Don't lose hope! Lots of grad schools have deposit deadlines of April 15th, so maybe there are people who were accepted to both grad school and Fulbright and will decide to put deposits down for grad school instead! 

That's kind of what I'm hoping for, that a principal from France got into their dream graduate school or got an even better opportunity.

It's still pretty early for Alternate to turn. It's like college admissions--a lot can change between notifications and summer. That is why the summer melt is a thing. Just be patient; hope is not lost for Alternates.

I know it's still early, I was just hopeful that at least one of the alternates would hear something with April 15th being tomorrow.

I feel so flaky right now when people are asking me what I'm doing after graduation and all I can say is I don't know and I don't have any clue if I'll even hear back from Fulbright. Some people are getting frustrated with me when I give them this answer :(

Brazil actually has a different Program Manager (Jody Dudderar) than the rest of the Western Hemisphere.  I'm waiting for Colombia as well and would be immensely grateful if you wanted to call our PM Susan Muendl - I emailed her a few weeks ago and that was the source of the "mid-April" info.  I was actually thinking about calling today as well, so if you can't do it let me know, and I'll make a point of trying to do it sometime this afternoon when I can get away from my desk (and boss) at work.

Anyways, here's the contact info (from http://us.fulbrightonline.org/countries/selectedregion/18):
Susan Muendl
212-984-5366
smuendl@iie.org

Apparently we'll hear back "within the next few weeks."

:/

That's kind of what I'm hoping for, that a principal from France got into their dream graduate school or got an even better opportunity.

I know it's still early, I was just hopeful that at least one of the alternates would hear something with April 15th being tomorrow.

I feel so flaky right now when people are asking me what I'm doing after graduation and all I can say is I don't know and I don't have any clue if I'll even hear back from Fulbright. Some people are getting frustrated with me when I give them this answer :(

Don't lose hope, I'm right there with you! You'll notice that the alternate email mentioned that they sometimes need to look at profile characteristics of alternates when a principal declines. So even if a principal drops out today or tomorrow, it probably takes a couple of weeks for them to weigh these various factors in their selection of a replacement.

I myself am planning on continuing the job hunt, getting prepared for post-grad, and if the Fulbright comes through it'll be a nice surprise.

Edited by COMacbeth

I fully support you calling! I'm too scared :)

I'm actually going to hold off for now - I got good news from my graduate director this morning that they're going to let me hold on to my funding offer until I hear back from Fulbright.  My main reason for calling today was the April 15th deadline tomorrow for accepting my graduate fellowship, but since that's no longer a concern, I am going to sit tight and wait.  Best wishes to everybody still waiting.

Apparently we'll hear back "within the next few weeks."

:/

Thanks for calling @alfred92.  I can't say I'm that surprised that we're still not getting any clear idea of when it'll be, but I'm relieved at least knowing that I can wait to find out before I make my plans for next year.

We Latin America applicants need our own little support group.