Fulbright 2014-2015

conservationbiologist14

Long-time lurker, first-time poster--got notified today that I'm accepted for a Turkish ETA! Where my Eurasian homies at?

Also, does anyone have suggestions for general ETA blogs/websites/resources? I'm suuuuper excited, but would also like to know more about what teaching English in a foreign country entails!

Long-time lurker, first-time poster--got notified today that I'm accepted for a Turkish ETA! Where my Eurasian homies at?

Also, does anyone have suggestions for general ETA blogs/websites/resources? I'm suuuuper excited, but would also like to know more about what teaching English in a foreign country entails!

Congrats!!!! What I did was I googled " Fulbright ETA Spain blogs" and a lot of them came out, and that's how I know a little bit about what to expect. You can probably find out about the Turkish ETA program by doing the same thing! :) 

Well, I got the dreaded NS email. So I won't be going to Mexico with a Fulbright this year. I'm really heartbroken, but determined to try again. I'm curious to hear from anyone else who tried at least twice before getting accepted. When I was recommended, I felt so confident that my application was strong, and although my interview wasn't great, it didn't feel terrible. 

I also want to thank everyone in this forum for being so supportive. Knowing that I wasn't alone, and that some of you were going through the same thing was comforting to me during the wait, and especially when the email finally came. I feel like just applying, getting recommended, and even rejected, I've been in good company all along the way.

And to those who were accepted today—I wish you the best of luck and a marvelous time in the coming year. 

I haven't heard back from Fulbright yet, but this is my third time applying. It's... been a journey, and I've been through a lot of heartbreak. I'm genuinely hoping that the Fulbright commission sees my persistence and passion, and that the God(s) are going to grant me this amazing opportunity. 

I'm getting more terrified every day! Who else out there is recommended for a grant in Sub Saharen Africa? (I'm applying for Zambia.)  From the excel spreadsheet, and by the way, THANK YOU to whomever maintains those, it looks like we will hear sometime between April 15 and the end of April. I can hardly stand the suspense! I've built my entire dissertation proposal around this Fulbright and if I don't get it, I am going to have to change gears and FAST! I keep re-reading my grant proposal and personal statement, like that will  help anything! Give me a shout out if you're recommended for Sub Saharen Africa!

Anyone here a winner of the India Fulbright and going to the US to conduct research or teach? If so, I'll be on a panel at your pre-departure orientation in Delhi entitled, "Living on a U.S. Campus," at the end of May. Excited to meet you all! Hopefully I'll get to help out at the US Fulbright to India pre-departure orientation in DC in June as well! Good luck to you all out there!

Last year, ETA Taiwan was notified April 2...but Fulbright advisor told me that Taiwan is not expected to make decisions until mid April....I believe someone else received an e-mail to that tune as well.

The anxious feeling in the pit of my stomach is something else to say the least.

I got offered USTA! I'm moving back to Europe! Just got the email from Jürgen an hour ago and read it when I woke up! 

I'm crying and happy and alone because I am on the West Coast and it's 6 am. 

Hope there is more good news for everyone to come today!!!

I got offered USTA! I'm moving back to Europe! Just got the email from Jürgen an hour ago and read it when I woke up! 

OMG you think Germany will release notifications today!?!!

AHHH CoNGRATSS

Hey FakeEmpire and Esme_Praha (and any other Czech Republic lurkers) — I got anxious enough to email the program advisor in Prague, and she said we would be notified "very soon," so I guess that's something.

For everyone else, I also emailed the program advisor at my own home institution, and he said that most all of the notifications are a bit wonky this year for some unexplained reason. Apparently countries that typically haven't notified early have, and countries that are typically early haven't, as y'all are probably all well aware. Hang in there, everyone who hasn't heard!

Good luck to all still in the running!  Sorry for those who it didn't work for.

Just popping in to say to all of those (like myself) who didn't get it that it can still work out!  I just got funded for summer research in my chosen country (Canada) through my home institution and the host institution in combo!  It can be done :)

Hi overworkedta! Good to "see" you again and congratulations on getting that funding!!! :D

Hi everyone,

I've been a lurker here for a while and I'm sorry to out myself just to ask for some advice, but I feel a bit lost at sea where I am.  First, congratulations to all who've been awarded!  This is so great!  Second, I want to urge those who haven't to not be worried, as worry is bad for the heart and soul.  I've gotten so many rejections in my life it's been awful but things work out in a more difficult way somehow.

Third, I have been recommended for a Cambodian research grant but I only got the notice that I have a skype interview next Wednesday just today.  I haven't seen anyone interested in Cambodia show up, but could anyone offer me ANY sort of advice for these interviews?  I'm in Canada and this is one of the few funding options I have as an American PhD student, so I am pretty worried (obviously my previous words are a more 'do what I say,' suggestion).

Anyway, what can I do in a week full of TAing and 'writing' to prepare?  Anyone with any advice?  I could use any help or suggestions, etc.

Sorry to take up the time and intrude on an already close-knit group of people. I can see how supportive you are of each other and I am just finding myself with no one here irl who was both awarded the fulbright and has had an interview for it (I don't know if it's because my fellow PhDers are studying African countries or what).

too long! anyway: advice for a skype interview?

thank you, darce

Welcome to the forum darce :D You are definitely not intruding, this is what this place is for, to support each other and share information (and maybe sometimes make jokes only fellow applicants will get).

I didn't have a country interview so I unfortunately can't give you advice on that, but I know several people on here have. Will the interview be in English?

Hey everyone! Fulbright Turkey also released decisions today and I found out that I'm an alternate! It somehow feels like I'm in the exact same position I was before I got the email lol

Welcome to the alternate club aka Limbo. I imagine it to look something like this:

Sb-129.jpg

Although it can vary widely, based on the spreadsheet, it looks like most alternates that then get accepted have found out 1 to 2 months after notifications went out

Congrats!!!! What I did was I googled " Fulbright ETA Spain blogs" and a lot of them came out, and that's how I know a little bit about what to expect. You can probably find out about the Turkish ETA program by doing the same thing! :)

Thanks, same to you! :) That was definitely my go-to option, but I haven't found the resulting blogs to be super helpful--people mostly talk about where they travel on weekends and the food, which is awesome, but not so clarifying when it comes to questions about daily life!

Man I have to say, no matter what, being on this forum has really kept me a bit saner than I would have been... I was able to predict notification dates, know what email I'd be seeing no matter what the outcome, and am prepared for that dreaded SUBJECT LINE designation... Thanks guys :)

Got an email from my FPA titled "Fulbright Notification"..........it was to let me know to who to contact at the Office of National Scholarship if I hear anything when she is gone next week. While I really appreciate her thinking of me, my heart rate just went from 80 to 110 in 1 second. Clearly shows that I need to be doing yoga or something to be more zen about this.

Who are you guys contacting to find out when you might be notified - the commission in your country or your US rep? I'm considering sending an email to find out. But on the other hand I don't wanna know...