Fulbright 2014-2015

conservationbiologist14

Hey Olioliwoo, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR POSTING THIS!!! My son, now 30, has Asperger's. He had a very, very difficult childhood because no one could diagnose him properly. I finally diagnosed him myself after reading an article in Good Housekeeping magazine, of all things! It was an article written by a mom who had a son with Asperger's. Luckily, we lived near Stanford U at the time and I was able to bring Joey to one of their top child psychiatrists who confirmed my diagnosis, After some wrong turns, he went to Cornish College of the Arts and got a B. Mus. in piano performance. He is now at MIT studying computer programming! I always tell parents to keep hope alive and never, ever give up.

Yay, good to see another ASD family member on here (I have a younger brother with autism)! Getting a diagnosis seems to often be a huge headache for families. My proposed Fulbright project actually looks at how having the proper formal supports impacts individuals on the spectrum and their families. I'm so glad your son was able to find his way and his passion :)

Edited by olioliwoo

OK everybody who is planning at some point to teach/research at the university level: I have a question. So, one of the best things about being chosen for a Fulbright (and I won't hear until mid-April) is that you forever get to put on your CV that you were a Fulbright scholar. My question is, where on the CV would you put this? I don't want to bury it somewhere in the back in the awards/honors section. I would kinda want to put it right at the top:  Fulbright scholar to Zambia, 2014-15. Right now my CV starts with the Education Section. I could put it under Gonzaga University, PhD Candidate in Leadership Studies, Emphasis African Studies. Then perhaps the next line, Fulbright... ?  What do you all think? I know this is really premature, but I'm a bit fixated on it at the moment! :-)

I've seen "Fulbright Scholar" included under Professional Experience at the top of the CV. I suppose it fits under a few different categories – no harm in listing in twice.

I listened because I'm a creepy interloper. I mean, I don't know anything at all about composing, but what I heard was amazingggg!

Haha - thanks so much! I really appreciate that! :-)

That would be the exact face I would make...if it ever arrives. In related news, last night I had the following conversation.

Me: "What if they reject me?"

SO: "Well-"

Me: "What if they just NEVER TELL ME?!"

SO: ...

Me: "That would be so much worse."

I think this says something about my current mental state.

Edited by kmshrader

Haha, I've known for a while that I have a full ride to my PhD/DMA in music, so I'll probably write my dissertation on what would have been my Fulbright proposal, and also shamelessly exploit the school's concert hall to do performances of these beautiful and unknown German works!

I'm still recovering from finding out my research project was not chosen, and I won't be going to the Czech Republic on a Fulbright. I tried to prepare myself for this, but it's still a major turn in the road and it will take some time to work through it. I am a non-traditional (older) student and designer in a PhD program, which I began after raising a daughter. Some of my past work has included writing a play based on historical characters and presenting it along with projected still images and video sequences that I designed for use in an immersive theater. I think working with a talented soprano would be incredible. If you are interested in collaboration, perhaps with pairing imagery with the German music, let me know. I haven't used the PM function on this site before, but will check back in the next few days as I have to catch up on other things now that my obsessive email checking is over. Next I am looking at other funding options and waiting to hear about other funding applications, as having more than one "irons in the fire" makes missing out on one easier to take. I wish everyone in this supportive virtual community the best in their endeavors.

Hello fellow Fulbright applicants. I have been lurking around for about the last 50 pages of comments. I applied to be an ETA in Laos this year (hello Mo). I am unique in that I do not currently live in the US. I currently live/work in Thailand. Anyone else in a similiar situation?

Hey chok dee (love the name, btw), I'm not really in the same situation as you, but I did used to work and live in Thailand about 1.5 years ago. Where to do live? I lived in Phuket and worked for an NGO there. Definitely miss Phuket! I also had a chance to visit Laos and loved it! What's your project about? 

Not necessarily -- there are probably 10 or so ETAs in each city, plus more in the area. But there are likely a lot more people putting those cities/states as their choices than there are actually spots available in either. But, for example, they might put you in Brandenburg instead of Berlin, which isn't a whole lot different. Or maybe they'd put you in far northern Niedersachsen rather than Hamburg. Really, I wouldn't sweat it. I know very few people 100 percent unhappy with where they are right now. 

Thanks once again for the very helpful information. Now the main thing is waiting to see if I get in!

First time poster here. Does anyone know what the deal is with ETA results being released before research grants (or sometimes vice versa)? My country in prior years has released all results at the same time, but this year they've staggered them (by a week and counting...) and released ETA first. Any thoughts long the waiting period might be before they release research results? (since presumably the in-country commission has already made all the decisions at once...)

Hi Maliyazi!  FINALLY, a voice from Sub-Saharan Africa!  You're the first one I've "met" on this thread. Yes, these stats are for Research grants only. i just looked at the numbers for each region on the Fulbright site and added them up.  You can do the same thing for ETAs. I'd really like to go to Kenya some day. I'll be rooting for you!

Hello Mozartgirl53 and Maliyazi,  I am also a recommended applicant for Sub-Saharan Africa for a research grant to South Africa.  Nice to meet you both.  I also am getting increasingly anxious to find out about the final decision.  Has anybody emailed Jermaine Jones (the Program Manager for Sub-Saharan) to ask when he expects notifications to go out this year?  They are usually pretty guarded about that information, but he might at least let us know if it will be in the next week or so.  Good luck with your applications!

Silver lining # 2 of alternate status: found out last night from one of my classmates that the results for the licensing exam we took are starting to come back...stalking that physical mailbox is going to be seem so much simpler/less anxiety provoking now that I've been through the Fulbright wait.

First time poster here. Does anyone know what the deal is with ETA results being released before research grants (or sometimes vice versa)? My country in prior years has released all results at the same time, but this year they've staggered them (by a week and counting...) and released ETA first. Any thoughts long the waiting period might be before they release research results? (since presumably the in-country commission has already made all the decisions at once...)

thats the deal with my country right now (perhaps we're the same).... i emailed the regional guy and he said they just... had made their decisions on ETAs but not the research grants... even if it's the same people on the in-country committee, i imagine research grants may take longer and/or involve more debate (depending on the country and the project). it's super lame though.

Hello fellow Fulbright applicants. I have been lurking around for about the last 50 pages of comments. I applied to be an ETA in Laos this year (hello Mo). I am unique in that I do not currently live in the US. I currently live/work in Thailand. Anyone else in a similiar situation?

Hey my situation is a little different, but I was living and working in Korea when I sent in my application, and came back to the USA just before they sent out preliminary notifications. What kind of work are you doing there?

ok...those of you who have contacted the program advisors...what have you been saying?

I absolutely did not want to email anyone, but now I really need to. My husband is military and we've received some news today and we need to make some big decisions. If I am awarded the Fulbright, it would change the situation quite a bit.

I don't know what to say in an email and I don't want to come off as inappropriate.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Hey chok dee (love the name, btw), I'm not really in the same situation as you, but I did used to work and live in Thailand about 1.5 years ago. Where to do live? I lived in Phuket and worked for an NGO there. Definitely miss Phuket! I also had a chance to visit Laos and loved it! What's your project about? 

Hey Hina, I am living in Bangkok.  English Teaching Assistants in Laos are expected to primarily focus on teaching. I will likely organize language-related cross-cultural student activities as well. I hope to develop some type of service-learning option for my students where they can engage in conversation with tourists. It is my hope that through this cross-cultural exchange my students can further their English skills and gain a better understanding of the world. I would also hope a service-learning option would provide tourists a way to meet locals and gain a better understanding of Laos.

Hey my situation is a little different, but I was living and working in Korea when I sent in my application, and came back to the USA just before they sent out preliminary notifications. What kind of work are you doing there?

Hey letshaveakeke, I am teaching English at a university (the same thing I would do as a Laos ETA).

Edited by chok dee

I got offered USTA! I'm moving back to Europe! Just got the email from Jürgen an hour ago and read it when I woke up! 

I'm crying and happy and alone because I am on the West Coast and it's 6 am. 

Hope there is more good news for everyone to come today!!!

Congrats! I was offered an alternate position for the USTA :) Still waiting for the Germany ETA though! haha

I noticed on the spreadsheet that people who applied for a grant to Germany were notified yesterday-- what about us ETAs?! ;) Here's to hoping we find out soon!

(Also, obligatory "first time posting, long time lurker" post haha)

I'm still recovering from finding out my research project was not chosen, and I won't be going to the Czech Republic on a Fulbright. I tried to prepare myself for this, but it's still a major turn in the road and it will take some time to work through it. I am a non-traditional (older) student and designer in a PhD program, which I began after raising a daughter. Some of my past work has included writing a play based on historical characters and presenting it along with projected still images and video sequences that I designed for use in an immersive theater. I think working with a talented soprano would be incredible. If you are interested in collaboration, perhaps with pairing imagery with the German music, let me know. I haven't used the PM function on this site before, but will check back in the next few days as I have to catch up on other things now that my obsessive email checking is over. Next I am looking at other funding options and waiting to hear about other funding applications, as having more than one "irons in the fire" makes missing out on one easier to take. I wish everyone in this supportive virtual community the best in their endeavors.

Aww, I'm so sorry to hear that Esme_Praha. Your research sounds tremendously interesting! (I'm a music historian.) Good luck with your other funding applications — if it's any consolation, a professor here at my university told me he heard a rumor that funding was cut this year for the CR, so there were fewer grants available than normal. And I agree, having as many backups as possible is the best way to go about it!