Fulbright 2014-2015

conservationbiologist14

SubSaharan Africa-- we have around a month to go! According to the spreadsheet, looks like mid-April for us. YIKES!!! Any SubSaharan Africa folks out there? I'm a recommendee for Zambia, which traditionally gives 2 grants, although that's not set in stone anymore in SSA.

Whoa whoa whoa~~~ people! I just looked at the spread sheet again and noticed someone got news from the European union yesterday (Mar. 10). Sad to see another rejection on the list but good to see that some notifications are being sent out! Hoping for the best for everyone on here~! 

Korea hopefuls~~~ Mar 12th to Apr. 17th is fair game for our notifications; especially the last week of March! Let's go! Aja! Aja! 

So I think this brings it to Austria, the EU, Finland, and Indonesia who have released results. By this point last year, there were 5 results announced instead of 4 and things didn't really start getting kicked into high gear until 3/19.

After I read lalakey's last post, I decided to google the days of the week that decisions were released in past years. One year, decisions for Brazil were emailed on a Sunday (bizarre), but most other years were emailed out on a Monday. I wonder if IIE tends to stick to a certain day of the week for each country.

Found this while checking through Twitter for any news: http://www.fulbright.at/fileadmin/user_upload/allgemein/Save_Fulbright/save_fulbright_lobbying_US.pdf

It looks like there is a proposed $30 million cut to the Fulbright program. I'm not sure how they are defining Fulbright 2015 (as either our cycle or next year's applicants).

Found this while checking through Twitter for any news: http://www.fulbright.at/fileadmin/user_upload/allgemein/Save_Fulbright/save_fulbright_lobbying_US.pdf

It looks like there is a proposed $30 million cut to the Fulbright program. I'm not sure how they are defining Fulbright 2015 (as either our cycle or next year's applicants).

I noticed some of this going around as well and sort of brushed it off since it seemed odd that only Fulbright Austria seemed to be talking about it.  That being said, the article below popped up on a cursory Google search (go all the way down the page before the comments you'll see a table outlining the budget and prior to that is a short discussion about the Fulbright cuts): 

http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2014/03/05/obamas-2015-budget-would-keep-most-education-and-research-programs-flat

Edit: Not sure why the link doesn't work, tried it a few times.  If you're interested do a Google search for "30 million cut Fulbright" and the Inside Higher Ed article should show up on the first page.

Edited by raymondnorth

I would imagine that the budget cuts won't affect us this cycle because the Fulbright Commission has already made agreements with each country to send a certain number of ETAs/Researchers/Students to them. But still, that's sad for next year.  :(

So I think this brings it to Austria, the EU, Finland, and Indonesia who have released results. By this point last year, there were 5 results announced instead of 4 and things didn't really start getting kicked into high gear until 3/19.

It looks like Ireland already sent out notifications as well.  And Indonesia hasn't sent out all of its results yet, there's at least two of us still waiting! Jonathan Akeley, the East Asia-Pacific Program Manager, is unreachable until the 25th, so it'll be interesting to see if any countries under his jurisdiction receive notification before then. 

Just got an email from my university saying that Tony Claudino (who we all know as the Director of the Fulbright Program at IIE) will be giving an information session at my school next Thursday. If I haven't heard by then I am seriously going to go ask him when we should expect to hear back...

It looks like Ireland already sent out notifications as well.  And Indonesia hasn't sent out all of its results yet, there's at least two of us still waiting! Jonathan Akeley, the East Asia-Pacific Program Manager, is unreachable until the 25th, so it'll be interesting to see if any countries under his jurisdiction receive notification before then. 

I'm not sure about Ireland because 2 of the 3 posts are not the more common full research grants.

I noticed some of this going around as well and sort of brushed it off since it seemed odd that only Fulbright Austria seemed to be talking about it.  That being said, the article below popped up on a cursory Google search (go all the way down the page before the comments you'll see a table outlining the budget and prior to that is a short discussion about the Fulbright cuts): 

http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2014/03/05/obamas-2015-budget-would-keep-most-education-and-research-programs-flat

Edit: Not sure why the link doesn't work, tried it a few times.  If you're interested do a Google search for "30 million cut Fulbright" and the Inside Higher Ed article should show up on the first page.

Thank you for sharing this :) Thought it was interesting too what they were talking about in the article relating to student loans.

So apparently some of the notifications are arriving via snail mail...just got an ETA acceptance for Indonesia in my mailbox! 

YAY!! Congratulations!!!!

So apparently some of the notifications are arriving via snail mail...just got an ETA acceptance for Indonesia in my mailbox! 

Congrats!!!  When are you leaving for Indonesia and what island will you be on?

We should keep in touch  :D

OMG! Congratulations!!! That's so exciting!

I wonder if they'll notify us both ways because I moved from the address where I applied from... :o

OMG CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!! I'm so confused though, why on earth would they email some candidates and snail mail others? Seems to make no sense. BUT WHO CARES CONGRATS!!!

Usually not an image macro fanatic, but I feel like this one is especially appropriate in regards to this year's Fulbright notifications:

xVyoSl.jpg