So, I was gearing up to apply for PhD programs for fall 2013, but for a variety of personal reasons, the process was put on hold. I'm really hoping to apply this year, but I'm a little worried that my time away from anything academic will reflect poorly on my applications. I graduated with my BA in 2011, and have since taught high school theatre, traveled/volunteered in Tibet and India, scooped ice cream, and worked with homeless youth--and I currently work in the marketing department of an industrial computer company. Meanwhile, I've been freelancing as a book reviewer for a statewide paper, and publishing fiction on rare occasions.

My question is: Will my time at, for instance, a marketing department look bad on my application? Do programs expect me to have been pursuing something high-minded since my BA? Or might it look good to have some not-so-fun real-world experience? Or does it matter at all?

I'd appreciate any insight.

-nk

p.s. I love this forum and I'm really glad to be back. Looking forward to worrying with many of you throughout this year's application process.

Short answer: no. In your SOP demonstrate transferrable skills that could be relevant to your specialized field: (eg. any grant writing, report writing, any kind of writing etc).

A while back a professor informed me that I was a desirable candidate because "you have real world experience."

My source: personal experience. 13 years difference between BA to PhD applications. Success: heaps of acceptances.

Edited by Porridge

I only applied for MAs, so my experience may not be completely applicable, but I have had 3 years of work experience between AB and MA and that experience seems to have had no negative impact at all.

Honestly: I am much, much more concerned about the people on here who go into a PhD program having never taken time away from formal education than I am of someone in your shoes. I took 5 years between my BA and my MA, and I'm so glad that I did. I think you'll find it's quite common.

Ditto to what everyone else has said. I took 2 years between my BA and going back for a Ph.D and it was no problem. I have a friend who worked five years in publishing in between her MA and the Ph.D. What matters is how strong an applicant you are coming in.

I had the exact same question and every professor I've ever asked about it (4) has said it's absolutely no problem whatsoever.  Without qualification, no short-answer/long-answer, no in-this-case-or-that-case, nothing. One of these professors has a reputation for all things professional, and helps grad students professionalize in a proseminar. She is highly respected in this capacity and in fact I'm working on a project out of a piece of theory that acknowledges her help specifically as a matter of professionalization and process-oriented logistics. Basically a non issue all the way around. To quote Forrest Gump: "Great! One less thing!"

So, I was gearing up to apply for PhD programs for fall 2013, but for a variety of personal reasons, the process was put on hold. I'm really hoping to apply this year, but I'm a little worried that my time away from anything academic will reflect poorly on my applications. I graduated with my BA in 2011, and have since taught high school theatre, traveled/volunteered in Tibet and India, scooped ice cream, and worked with homeless youth--and I currently work in the marketing department of an industrial computer company. Meanwhile, I've been freelancing as a book reviewer for a statewide paper, and publishing fiction on rare occasions.

My question is: Will my time at, for instance, a marketing department look bad on my application? Do programs expect me to have been pursuing something high-minded since my BA? Or might it look good to have some not-so-fun real-world experience? Or does it matter at all?

I'd appreciate any insight.

-nk

p.s. I love this forum and I'm really glad to be back. Looking forward to worrying with many of you throughout this year's application process.

Yep, what everyone else said. Total non-issue. I worked in a somewhat unrelated field (journalism) for several years (6) after finishing undergrad. It made absolutely no difference on my applications to MA programs two years ago. I got several acceptances. When the time came last year for PhD applications, I mentioned my outside experience very briefly in my SOP, but dealt mostly with my research and areas of scholarly focus. Same result. Several acceptances, and at two interviews profs said how much they liked that I had experience in the professional realm.

I just wanted to say that after seeing this thread, I have spent the last day or so asking myself "Am I okay?" in the style of the I <3 Huckabees mantra "How am I not myself?" So far the response I keep coming up with is "I am okay" which is pretty good I guess.

• 3 weeks later...

I am NOT Okay right now. I absolutely HATE my courses, and even though there's only 2 weeks left, I am MISERABLE trying to pay attention to them. In fact I am in class right now and my prof is just yabbering on and on about nothing and I want to PUKE in her FACE.

that is all

• 2 weeks later...

I am NOT Okay right now. I absolutely HATE my courses, and even though there's only 2 weeks left, I am MISERABLE trying to pay attention to them. In fact I am in class right now and my prof is just yabbering on and on about nothing and I want to PUKE in her FACE.

that is all

Thanks for sharing! When you have students of your own, you'll be on the receiving end of the very same sentiment. Best of luck.