MPH 2014 CANADA APPLICANTS

Hi,

I am an MBBS doctor (equivalent to your M.D) from Karachi, Pakistan. I have applied to University of Saskatchewan, MPH program. I completed my MBBS in year 2010 and secured 70% marks in the central examination held at University of Karachi where almost 2050 medical students took the exam. The student who topped that examination secured only 74% (approx.) because it's a negative marking examination and normally students don't get higher percentages. 

Other than that, I have almost 3 years of experience in a top Government Naval hospital including house job + 1 year as a general physician at a famous local organization. I have also co-authored an international research paper.

I have only applied to U of Sask, MPH program (in December, 2013).

What are my chances of getting in the program and when should I expect the outcome of the application? I have also asked for IELTS waiver as my college is affiliated with University of Karachi.

My application status is currently appearing as 'ready for review'.......

Waiting for your replies.

Many Thanks, cheers.

Hello everyone!

I have been silently watching the forum for long and had my fingers crossed till now.

Just received a official admit email from USask. Such a relief!!

Still waiting to hear from UVic, SFU, U of Alberta. Anyone else who got an admit from USask ?

Good luck to everyone who are waiting for acceptances!! :)

Finally got the rejection letter from University of Toronto. Decision was taken on 10th March and application status on website was changed to 'Decision Made'  on 11th March. However, after inquiring few times finally got the e-mail which is as usual. All the hope on SFU.

Quick question: which MPH stream did you apply to? Was it Community Nutrition, Epi, Social and Behavioural Health Sciences (Health Promotion), etc?

Were you the person who submitted the "Rejected" result?

To everyone else: has your status changed to "Decision Made" on the website? Mine still says "Under Review".

Quick question: which MPH stream did you apply to? Was it Community Nutrition, Epi, Social and Behavioural Health Sciences (Health Promotion), etc?

To everyone else: has your status changed to "Decision Made" on the website? Mine still says "Under Review".

I applied to Social and Behavioural, and mine says 'Under Review' as well.

I'm pretty sure that was for community medicine. It seems like community medicine and nutrition have gotten their letters but epi and health promotion applicants have to wait until next month.

Hello everyone!

I have been silently watching the forum for long and had my fingers crossed till now.

Just received a official admit email from USask. Such a relief!!

Still waiting to hear from UVic, SFU, U of Alberta. Anyone else who got an admit from USask ?

Good luck to everyone who are waiting for acceptances!! :)

Congrats! Can you share your stats and experience? Thanks 

I have received an email today from both SFU and UofA that I have been accepted into their MPH Programs (Population Health and Epidemiology respectively)! I only applied to 1 other school, USask, which I have not heard from yet, though I saw that one person did hear from them today. 

I am stoked, as SFU and UofA were my top two choices. I still don't know which one I would prefer to go to. 

I have received an email today from both SFU and UofA that I have been accepted into their MPH Programs (Population Health and Epidemiology respectively)! I only applied to 1 other school, USask, which I have not heard from yet, though I saw that one person did hear from them today. 

I am stoked, as SFU and UofA were my top two choices. I still don't know which one I would prefer to go to. 

Congrats! Can you share your stats and experiences?

Congrats! Can you share your stats and experiences?

For sure. 

I have a Bachelor of Kinesiology, minor in Biology, with a cGPA of 4.03/4.33 with my last 60 credits being about the same thing, maybe slightly higher. The last 3 years of my undergrad I worked at the university in a bit of a unique pilot program where I attended 1st year anatomy and physiology courses and ran free study sessions for students, and then went on to train and mentor new people working in that program. I volunteered in a lead student role on a research project with one of my professors and the health authority examining the effect of strength and balance training on seniors in nursing homes, and because of that experience spoke in front of the deans/provosts/presidents of the New Western Universities as part of a panel member on the benefits of community-based research. 

As part of a practicum I (and 2 others) created and ran workshops for recreation leaders and early childhood educators on physical literacy for children, as well as evaluated the effectiveness of current recreational programs in developing physical literacy. I also did 1 undergraduate thesis course where I examined the participation data from local communities' recreation programs as part of a first step in determining some of the influencing factors on recreation participation. However, I have no publications from it. 

I then took a couple years off from school and have been working in the recreation centre of a retirement home doing all sorts of stuff, but my main role being running the fitness programs (strength, balance, aqua classes, etc). 

So it is a bit of a hodgepodge of various experiences that I was lucky to get the opportunity to be a part of. 

Edited by BCMPH2014

Congrats BCMPH2014! Thanks for sharing your stats too! I applied to the UofA Epi stream and haven't heard back. I am worried and anxious now. Do you know if they send out acceptances in waves? Or is it the first round all at once?

Congrats BCMPH2014! Thanks for sharing your stats too! I applied to the UofA Epi stream and haven't heard back. I am worried and anxious now. Do you know if they send out acceptances in waves? Or is it the first round all at once?

I actually haven't received my official letter yet (they said it was sent out a few days ago). I just received an email to let me know that they nominated me for a scholarship. So yours may be on its way still!

Congrats to all who have received some good news! :)

I received an offer from SFU via email, although I formally accepted the offer to UBC yesterday. These early deadlines to accept/decline are throwing me off guard!

Best of luck!

Hi Kaitri!

I applied to MPH family and community medicine-UoT. and got letter from Ann Fox, Graduate coordinator. However, It was a usual rejection letter. And yes I posted the 'Rejected' result.

Hi PC22!

thanks for reply. And congratulations! Hope you will get official offer letter soon.

I have also applied to Population Health Science stream, yet to get decision on my application.

Hi Kaitri!

I applied to MPH family and community medicine-UoT. and got letter from Ann Fox, Graduate coordinator. However, It was a usual rejection letter. And yes I posted the 'Rejected' result.

Thanks for letting us know, rush2014. I wish the other streams would get back to us. I have to accept/decline my other offers by this week. :(

Hi PC22!

thanks for reply. And congratulations! Hope you will get official offer letter soon.

I have also applied to Population Health Science stream, yet to get decision on my application.

I also applied to the Population Health stream. I hope you get some good news!