How to rent an apartment while thousands of miles away?

After all the anexiety and angst about school acceptances and funding is over, my new source of anexiety is housing. :blink: I am starting in the summer so I am already very very late for reasons beyond my control.

So fellow internationals, please help me make a decision

I am torn between 2 places, both close to school (No commute or driving required)

The first is very expensive (950$), very small BR in a 2BR/2BA appartment but the building is huge, new, clean, well run, 24 h consierge and security, and the rent includes everything( utilities, cable, 42" screen, equipped kitchen, washer dryer, internet, Gym,..). Current tenants complain a lot and are dissatisfied with the administration but all their complaints are actually not fundemental IMO ( slow internet, sometimes maintance is a bit delayed, having to renew lease well in advance, Gym always busy, ambulance noise at night- it is next to one of the largest medical centres in the world-, strict policy for rent delays,...etc.) And I love the sense of community that it provides since all residents are professional/grad students. The best thing is that there is a reliable trusted owner company that I can pay online and be confident that it is no scam and have the place ready to move in as soon as I arrive. Lease for a year

On the other hand, the other place is a large bedroom with a private BR in a 3 BR house ( 2 female grad students at same school) with a finished basement, back porch ( with a grill), furnished living area, private entrance with security system, cable, internet, washer/dryer and 3 minutes from school. Rent is 600$ not including utilities. A little bit further but still quite close. Available a week after I move to the city. Lease for a year or 2

I am on a very tight budget ( the stipend will be probably between 1200-1300 $, and all my savings dropped 25 % in value ( since the turmoil in my country had a disasterous effect on the exchange rates :( )

It seems a no brainer that the second place is the better option. But since I am going to rent this place without seeing it, I am afraid that it might not be as it seems or that I can fall a victim of a scam or something and end up homeless at a strange city- ok a bit dramatic :rolleyes: but still possible, right? .

I have lived temporarily in the states before but then I had a relative near by who rented this amazing place on my behalf. What was surprising, was seeing that most of the places I considered great, on craigslist for example while initialy looking, where horrible choices.

So the question after this incridibly long post, is how can I make sure that this place is authentic and as good as it sounds?

What questions should I ask? How can I pay a deposit ? Sign the lease?.. Especially since I cannot be there earlier.

Will be grateful for any advice you can spare.

These are tight! 

I see what you mean with your savings decreasing in value, mine have decreased even more, so I basically count on them for my first month before getting my first stipend. 

Now, as a girl, this is what I'd do (and what have done in my last move): make a list of all the assets that you take into account when assessing an apartment, given them a weigh within the total and then awards points. For example:

Proximity to school (10%)

Price (20%)

Roommates(5%)

Utilities

Amenities

etc etc etc

Then you add up, and tata! You've got your choice. If you feel that winner is not 'right', it means deep down in your heart you want to live in the other place. 

This is only an approach :) 

Hope you can make up your mind!

Thanks a lot for yiur advice. It is a very good approach which I use often-albeit in a different manner- An update, just heard from the expensive place that they are out of 2 BR app for june and they will try to place me inAugust! So it is out of the equation at least for now. On theother hand, A friend agreed to travel to see the other apartment this weekend. However, the owner just mentioned showing the place to a few other people. I think I am going to have to look for new alternatives, which is really daunting with the clock ticking.

Not to hijack OP's thread but what sort of utility costs are there in the States: gas? electricity? phone? water? Does sewage and garbage incur costs?

Oh and how expensive is food and mobile. I have an unlocked iphone and intend to get a plan account over there.

Edited by Porridge

I'm also an international student (Canadian, moving to the Boston area), and I ended up going with something similar to the second option in the OP. I went on Craigslist and essentially figured it would be easier to move in with people who already have an apartment; that way, I wouldn't have to worry about buying living room and kitchen furnishings/essentials, and also figured that it would be less competitive. I was definitely worried that I would be scammed, but it turned out that the apartment I am now renting is not owned by an independent landlord, but managed by a real estate company. The current tenants decided I was a good fit to live with them, and sent me an application form from the company, and I paid the company directly. Of course, as I haven't moved to Boston yet and won't until September, it's possible that this could still turn out to be a scam or totally disastrous, but I think it's way less likely given the circumstances!

• 4 weeks later...

Honestly, although the situation might be worse than you expected upon arrival, there is very little chance it would be "disasterous". People are generally trustworthy (have you called them?) and besides, think about how they must feel letting in an international student who's practically a stranger! 

Some people (like myself) prefer to stay for free via BeWelcome.org for a couple days to scout out the area. I stayed with someone who did it in Berkeley and I plan to do it when I go to Singapore myself.

Not to hijack OP's thread but what sort of utility costs are there in the States: gas? electricity? phone? water? Does sewage and garbage incur costs?

Oh and how expensive is food and mobile. I have an unlocked iphone and intend to get a plan account over there.

The short answer is that utilities vary, so you should make sure to ask landlords what utilities are included in the rent. Electric or gas is generally not included in your rent. You won't have to pay for a phone line unless you want to get a land line in your apartment. Water, sewage, and garbage are the utilities most commonly covered by landlords (half of the apartments I've lived in have included water/refuse in with the rent, the other half I paid for.)

As for cell phones, I've generally found that my overseas friends are shocked by the cost of cell phone plans in the US (I remember my Israeli cell phone being very affordable and including international calling--you won't get that in the US without a hefty charge). My friends with smartphones (I can't afford one) have bills that range anywhere from $75-$200/month depending on their data packages. There are a few no contract or pay-as-you-go plans (Virgin mobile springs to mind), but I can't speak as to their quality. Maybe someone else can. 

Food prices in the US have risen in the past few years. There are expensive grocery stores and there are budget grocery stores. I live in the midwest, so groceries are more affordable than in major metropolitan areas. I budget about $250 a month for food, but I could spend considerably less if I had to. That $275 goes to fresh, whole foods most of the time. I think if I had to do it on a shoestring, I could get by on about $200/month, but I like to cook so I'm OK with spending more. Also, at various times in my educational and working life, I've participated in community food programs. You might look into whether one serves your area. I used to use something very similar to this program: http://www.oneharvest.com/. You can get a lot of food for significantly cheaper than grocery stores through a lot of these programs, so you might check to see if one operates in your area. Not knowing where you're living, it's hard to say exactly what your costs will be.

You might try some international cost-of-living calculators and see if they can give you a good idea of how costs will differ between where you're from and where you're heading. I've used this one before when traveling and living outside of the states. http://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-living