PhD @ US Fall 2013

engjyot

Hello ;

I got admitted in PhD prgram at Univ of Illinois, Chicago , Wayne state univ and Univ Of Toledo.

I don't have any tuition waiver or TA/RA till now. So should I take the chance and join program , I may get TA/RA later?

I haven't been interviewed by any professors as others have discussed in forum. 

Should I personally visit universities and contact professors...?

Plz reply soon. 

Jyotbir

Did you contact the DGS / program coordinator regarding funding/TA/RA? Do you have someone that you want to work for (for the next couple years) in your mind? If you do, did you e-mail them about recruiting / funding you as a PhD student?

If none of these schools nor professors have funding to recruit you, then you may have to pay out of your pocket for the first year (and we just cannot predict the future, so I'm just giving you the worst scenario here).

Personally, I would definitely not pay out of pocket for a PhD - not even just the first year.

Stepping back a little, I know some doctoral students are comfortable with paying for one semester or one year if funding is guaranteed after that period of time.  But you'd have to have strong assurances of being funded.