Dilemma--- Advice?!

Hi everyone. First time poster, long time lurker.

Today, I was rejected by my last graduate school. I'm a senior in college at Quinnipiac University, graduating with a double major in English and History. I thought for sure I'd get into one of my programs, but apparently that didn't happen.

So, now I'm trying to figure out what I should do. Do I apply to a state school here in Connecticut, where I will assuredly be admitted, then go to a better school for a phD? Or, do I try to find work for a year and then just apply for the M.A. again?

This economy is KILLING me. Any suggestions would be well received. Thanks!

Hey there Jackie,

Here's what I would do. I would email the programs I was rejected from and ask them for feedback on my application, as blunt as possible. I would work on whatever deficiencies they pointed out until app. season rolls around again, then apply to a wider range of schools than I did the first time. I don't know where you applied this season, but I would still shoot for some of the reaches, while adding in a bunch more schools where admissions were more likely

Unfortunately, the way the economy is going suggests that admissions will be just as, if not more difficult than this year, but between the stories I've read here and on other grad. admissions board, a good candidate will always eventually find a home.

So in short, between the two options you listed, I don't see why you can do both. You're set on applying for the MA, not the PhD?

Hey there Jackie,

So in short, between the two options you listed, I don't see why you can do both.

I am all about multiple backup plans. I suggest you do what omgninjas said, and also look for a job. You will need to be employed for the next year anyway, while you are filling out applications/waiting for results, and if you don't get in anywhere next year, you will at least have a job.

Thanks for the responses, guys!

Oops. I think I needed to be clearer in my first post (I found out about my final rejection around 3:00 today and I was distraught at the time of my post!)

I meant, should I go to a grad program for next year still? There's a state school that's still accepting applications that I can most certainly get into.

And to the above poster: you're at QU Law now, or going in the fall? I think I'm the only English major applying to grad school!

I'd think about it this way--you're going to spend 7 - 10 years at this school, wherever you go. Do you like the state school you think you could get into, or would you prefer to give it a year and give your top choice programs a go again, with better credentials?

Short answer: Do both.

Next year apply to your top schools (say four or five), the ones you would be willing to wait a year for and throw away the credits (or most of them) from your state school. Either way you'll be a stronger scholar in the end than if you don't go.

Then if you do not get into your top schools, finish your masters at the state school, then apply to a broad section of PhD programs with stronger material and a plan that is very likely to succeed.

Waiting begins to take on a gravity that can become harder and harder to resist.

Oh, get feedback from the schools you've applied to. Do it.