Stats MS/PHD Chances?

Hello, new member here. I don't like posting these "chance" threads but since I've been just recently thinking of applying to grad school, I am completely in the dark about my chances. Any input appreciated!

- - - - -

Background: Rising senior at an ivy league school majoring in math. Was not thinking about graduate school at all so my first 3 summers were spent doing random things (consulting, finance).

gpa: 3.94/4.0

other stuff: top 500 scores on putnam, academic prizes for math

gre: haven't taken yet, expect to do well on quantitative portion though

completed math coursework includes: linear algbera, set theory, multivariable calculus, 2 semesters of real analysis, abstract algebra, complex analysis, topology, probability and statistics, stochastic processes,

research: none...

- - - - -

Ok I assume that if I applied with just that next year I'd be screwed, but I'm getting genuinely very interested in probability and statistics. I have been thinking of working for a year and then applying, so I get the full senior year to prepare. Here's my rough plan for senior year:

coursework: measure theory, functional analysis, data analysis, machine learning, quantum mechanics, galois theory (yeah I know the last two aren't relevant but I just want to)

research: spend the year working on an independent research project with prof supervision

LOR: get letter of rec from prof I work with and some others, hopefully would be decent?

Thanks!

Uh, surely you're trolling? You have a 3.94 in math from an ivy league school and you think you're "screwed" if you apply this fall? Unless your letters are horrific, you have a good chance of getting into any top PhD program in statistics. 

The chair at the stats department at my undergrad university (a well regarded, more theoretical program in graduate stats, but not a top 5 school) told me research isn't a major factor in admission decisions. It sounds like you will have research experience anyways by the end of this semester so its a moot point. I think you should spend more time trying to pick schools that are right for your interests rather than stressing about getting in?

Another thing that concerns me is that if I asked for recommendations from professors now they would probably be pretty mediocre. I got top grades in most of my classes but no relationship with the profs.

Lol like what is a professor supposed to say in the recommendation, "gravityapples got an A in this class. He's probably decent at math?" So I'm thinking of working on building relationships with the professors whose classes I take next semester.

Does this seem like a valid concern?

• 2 weeks later...

You have an excellent shot at Stanford/Berkeley/Harvard/Washington stats programs.  I had a background similar to yours but with a lower GPA (3.5-3.6 range) and I'm starting Berkeley in the fall.

Also most of the math people go for math PhDs.  There's less competition for stats, in my opinion.