Recommended Fonts & Unicode?

Talmid

Hi everyone.

I'm a self-learner aiming to get up to speed to apply for a grad program. Finished seminary and want to change directions in my studies since I find classics so fascinating. That said, I could use your recommendations for a good Greek font and advice about unicode. What do your professors recommend for cutting edge fonts? What works well and is fairly user-friendly? Do you have advice on Sanskrit fonts?

I looked through an old website called fontsforscholars.com, but last I checked, it hadn't been updated in quite a while.

Thanks for your help.

I ran everything through www.typegreek.com and then uploaded all writing samples, typed in MSWord, as .pdfs, with the fonts preserved as .jpgs (or whatever), and everything worked out for me.  Macs tend to display the Greek from that site in a really screwy (albeit legible) way, so maybe consider another option if you're a Mac user.  

For Windows I have been using the (native) unicode font on Windows 7. It's super easy to set up and has worked for me quite well for the last couple years. I'm not sure about Sanskirt, but I imagine it is somewhat easy to obtain (it may be already preloaded, but I haven't looked). I have tried to use unicode Syriac in OSX (10.7), for example, with Word and had a ton of problems. I guess this is fairly common and I have come to find out that a lot of folks are having a much easier time with Windows.

Also, for Greek I know many are using SPIonic. If you are on Mac you may find it helpful. 

hanbran & jdmhotness,

Thank you for your recommenations. You both confirmed something I had my suspicions of in reference to using Mac. I was a long time Windows user and then got my first Mac about two years ago. Since then I have never figured out how to do all the fancy stuff with Word on a Mac as I used to do with Windows. Using a Mac I can't even find all the vowels with macrons to insert in a Word doc using Times New Roman.

Do your classmates and profs have a consensus about a preferred operating system for using Word? It seems you both favor Windows.

Thanks again

Edited by Talmid

Most of my professors use PC's, but I have a couple that swear by Mac products. Depending on the particular publisher/journal your work (hopefully) ends up in, they will likely have their individual preference for fonts. I wouldn't worry about it a whole lot at this point. Just find something that works well and change accordingly as needed. I know for sure one of my profs uses a Mac and also swears by unicode fonts (he does a lot of editing for journals with lots of Greek), so there has to be some way for them to work properly/easily. Though, again, if you have some sort of easy access to a PC it may be easier!