GRE or Latin.. Need to pick one for now.. WWYD?

Yetanotherdegree

So I'm scheduled to write the GRE in August for doctoral applications in the fall. I'm also working on Latin in my spare time.

I feel like I need to pick one or the other. I need both, but I could put off the GRE until late December and still be able to apply for the fall 2014 cycle.

I might not even apply for fall 2014- I might wait a year and aim for 2015 instead.

And my ancient languages are seriously lacking. I've been advised to take a certain course in the fall, which I can only do if I can improve my Latin.

WWYD? Postpone the GRE because I might not even need it this fall, and fix up the Latin instead? Or just do the darn test and get it out of the way?

Dumb question, I know. I kind of think I'm procrastinating on this just because I don't want to review fractions this summer. :(

If you really and truly can do only one or the other, I think Latin would offer more immediate and long-term reward -- you could take the fall course and your language study next year would be that much farther along.  On the other hand, I didn't find that studying for the GRE was all that time-consuming.  Get a prep book, take some practice tests, brush up on math -- I would think half an hour a day between now and August would be more than enough, which ought to leave time for Latin.  I did take the old version, though, but I doubt studying for the new version is substantially different.

Both, if you can. I have been doing this with German for the past month without too much trouble. Spend like an hour a day on the GRE and then continue with the Latin. Hell, even spend half an hour and it will help. 

I have been using this for the verbal: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1479216925/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also, this is one of the better/comprehensive sets I have used: http://www.amazon.com/Manhattan-Strategy-Guides-Edition-Instructional/dp/1935707981/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370543293&sr=8-1&keywords=manhattan+gre

The latter includes a verbal book(s) but the former is WAY better for practice verbal. 

Good luck!

Edited by jdmhotness