At What Price SAIS?

Or MSFS, for that matter (but that doesn't rhyme :) )...

Here's my dilemma: I have what amounts to a full ride from American, plus a faculty research assistantship, and I'm very excited about their IDEV program. I spoke with the chair the other day, and I feel like I'd benefit enormously from being there.

But - I'm in at both SAIS and MSFS. I haven't heard yet on funding, but let's assume (probably correctly) that I won't get much from either program.

What would you all do if you were in the same boat? How much would extra would you pay for a SAIS or MSFS education when you could attend American for free?

I'm trying to determine the point at which I say, "ok, f*ck it, I'll take out $XX,XXX in loans because SAIS/MSFS is worth it to me." Is it $20k? $50k?

What does the board say?

Wow - I have exactly the same dilemna! I have the same financial offer from American (essentially a full ride) and have just got into Georgetown too. At American my program is MA International Politics and at Georgetown it's the SSP. Georgetown will announce funding in the next week or so but even if I were to receive the full offer (tuition waiver), two years of living in DC would be pretty expensive! Looking forward to answers to this thread! Thank you :D

Same sort of dilemma for me as well. I don't have as awesome of an offer as you do, but I've got what would amount to a tuition waiver at UCSD IR/PS and possibly a very significant amount of money at Elliott. I've got a feeling I'm not going to get much from SAIS and if I do get into MSFS, its not likely either.

I've been trying to find out more online about second year funding at SAIS but haven't been all that successful. All I can ascertain is that a majority of the class gets funding the second year. If anyone can shed light on what the average package is, that would be extremely helpful. I don't want to end up like that kid at columbia who thought he was getting 18K and got a rude surprise.

I'm starting to be more aware of the money issue, but trying not to think too much until I get the actual package (classic ostrich head in the sand, I know).

While I haven't received any funding for any offer thus far (I'm Canadian so that pretty much rules me out of anything at a state u), I'm waiting out for Carleton (in Ottawa) because the tuition on its own is just soooo much less (like 5-6k per year CAD, compared to 35k+ USD at SAIS).

Slothrop - Since your interest is ID, I would take the AU offer and not even worry about it. The ID program is exceptionally strong at SIS and they bend over backwards for their students. I haven't seen a single ID student not get a job they wanted (World Bank, NGOs, etc) and they're all obsessively in love with their program.

This has been mentioned on this forum before, but I think it may bear repeating - the comparative symbolic "worth" of SAIS/MSFS over Elliot/SIS inside the Beltway is virtually nonexistent for a lot of employers.

Same sort of dilemma for me as well. I don't have as awesome of an offer as you do, but I've got what would amount to a tuition waiver at UCSD IR/PS and possibly a very significant amount of money at Elliott. I've got a feeling I'm not going to get much from SAIS and if I do get into MSFS, its not likely either.

Hi Escincau. How focused are you on East Asia? I'd say that if this is an area of major importance to you, the offer from UCSD sounds really good. I know the program is not as highly praised as the other IR programs around (Gtown, SAIS, Fletcher etc.), but I think it is only a question of time, and when it comes to East Asian studies, they are hard to beat.

Regarding no $ from SAIS vs a full ride at American (or Elliott), all else being equal, I would most likely go for the full ride.

Slothrop - Since your interest is ID, I would take the AU offer and not even worry about it. The ID program is exceptionally strong at SIS and they bend over backwards for their students. I haven't seen a single ID student not get a job they wanted (World Bank, NGOs, etc) and they're all obsessively in love with their program.

This has been mentioned on this forum before, but I think it may bear repeating - the comparative symbolic "worth" of SAIS/MSFS over Elliot/SIS inside the Beltway is virtually nonexistent for a lot of employers.

Thanks for the valuable input, Leica. I'm still waiting to hear about funding from MSFS and SAIS, so I'll be better able to make a decision next week. I was just wondering if there was a magic number that we could put on that "comparative symbolic worth." In other words, if one gets some funding from SAIS/MSFS, but still has to take out $12,000 per year for living expenses (vs. zero dollars at American), is it worth incurring that relatively small debt just to go to SAIS/MSFS? I have a feeling that Leica's answer is no (but you are a bit biased being an AU student, no? :D ) . And I would probably have to agree.

What do the rest of you say?

slothrop -

I agree with leica.

As for your hypothetical example, I would have to seriously consider MSFS or SAIS over SIS if they gave me full tuition. However, with those two schools, the chances of that happening are minuscule. Both have very little money to pass around, and both have some amazing candidates from all over the world. (Not saying that we're not amazing candidates, just that the probability is low.)

To follow up on my previous post on the paucity of funding available for the MSFS, here's some info from the website:

"Entering Class

First year scholarships are distributed to those students viewed as "exceptional" based on the characteristics evaluated for admission.

* Similar support for the second year of study is not guaranteed.

* Typically, 10-15% of the entering class receives a merit scholarship, normally covering no more than one-half tuition."

Thanks for the valuable input, Leica. I'm still waiting to hear about funding from MSFS and SAIS, so I'll be better able to make a decision next week. I was just wondering if there was a magic number that we could put on that "comparative symbolic worth." In other words, if one gets some funding from SAIS/MSFS, but still has to take out $12,000 per year for living expenses (vs. zero dollars at American), is it worth incurring that relatively small debt just to go to SAIS/MSFS? I have a feeling that Leica's answer is no (but you are a bit biased being an AU student, no? :D ) . And I would probably have to agree.

What do the rest of you say?

I fully recognize my bias :D, but I wouldn't be as eager to convert you if your interests were in international trade/finance or national security policy or something.

Also, keep in mind that $12k for living expenses is a pretty conservative estimate for DC.

Thanks, YL. I'm not sure about the lack of funds that these schools have, though. I was just snooping around SAIS's website and counted over 100 fellowships/scholarships available to grad students. This is way more than most schools seem so have.

Are you set on WWS? Or are you waiting to see what MSFS throws your way? :)

slothrop - yes, they have 100s of scholarships and fellowships but almost all aren't decision-shapers when you have great offers from elsewhere. Fletcher is the same way. I received their Board of Overseers scholarship, which they reserve for their "best" applicants, but it is worth almost $10,000 per year less than my next smallest offer.

There just isn't much money when it comes to IR schools. That's what makes your American offer so great.

Edit: I'm 98% set on WWS. I've already determined which apartment complex I want to live in, nearest IKEA locations (Elizabeth, NJ) to load up on cheap furniture, and UHAUL rental locations and rates from Princeton to Elizabeth roundtrip (IKEA run). I've even gone so far as to figure out what furniture I'm going to buy based on the dimensions and floor plan of my desired apartment. I've also started systemically declining offers from some other schools. Once I've 100% made up my mind, I'm going to replace the time I've spent on this forum with a calculus textbook in order to start preparing for next year. The only way I don't end up at Princeton is if Harvard gives me an enormous funding package (not going to happen) or I'm selected as the winner of JKC scholarship. Seeing as they announce in May and we must decide in April, I'm pretty sure I'll be in Princeton come August.

The only way I don't end up at Princeton is if Harvard gives me an enormous funding package (not going to happen) or I'm selected as the winner of JKC scholarship. Seeing as they announce in May and we must decide in April, I'm pretty sure I'll be in Princeton come August.

Man, I hear that. I'm waiting to hear on the Pickering Fellowship, which doesn't even announce finalists until after we have to decide on schools. What's with the timing on these external fellowships? It makes no sense whatsoever.

slothrop99 - i hear you. I'm waiting on Pickering as well and have commented to my SO (and anyone else that will listen) that the timing of Pickering makes absolutely no sense. The freakin fellowship is geared towards people going to these schools. It's not like it's applicable to schools with different timelines. I called the Pickering folks and they said that they'll announce finalists (interview in DC) mid-april.

I have no idea how many people applied or what my chances are, but it was worth nagging for extra references and writing another essay for the off chance that I'll get lucky.