Transferring schools and F1 visa

Hi all,

I'm about to transfer Universities, having done 1 year of a PhD program. I've got a new I-20 from my new school, and as far as I can tell (from online websites and the limited info my new school has offered me) that this is all I need to do - that my old visa in my passport is till valid with my new I-20 (even though it lists my old institutions). Has anyone done this in the past? Is this correct?

Thanks,

Jenny

• 4 weeks later...

I finished my MA and got a new I-20 from my PhD institution. I understand that it works exactly as you explained. 

I guess we'll see in the fall when I try to enter the US again!

• 2 years later...
On 16/6/2013 at 8:53 AM, jennypol said:

Hi all,

I'm about to transfer Universities, having done 1 year of a PhD program. I've got a new I-20 from my new school, and as far as I can tell (from online websites and the limited info my new school has offered me) that this is all I need to do - that my old visa in my passport is till valid with my new I-20 (even though it lists my old institutions). Has anyone done this in the past? Is this correct?

Thanks,

Jenny

On 10/7/2013 at 8:34 AM, PoliSwede said:

I finished my MA and got a new I-20 from my PhD institution. I understand that it works exactly as you explained. 

I guess we'll see in the fall when I try to enter the US again!

Hi,

I am curious if you were able to enter the US with your old visa, and your new I-20 from your new school. I have received conflicting information about it, saying that in order to leave the country and return to the US, I should apply for a new F-1 visa with the name of the new school in it. 

I would appreciate any information in this respect. 

Thanks,

Daniel