***MPH to Med Anthro PhD***

KnightGuy

Hello  :)

I'm getting my MPH (masters in public health) from the University of Illinois - Chicago and I'm thinking about getting my PhD in medical anthro. I got my bachelors in health sciences and I was geared to the medical field, however I found that I can make a difference in the long run by working on the root of the problems instead of treating patients in the hospitals, etc etc. 

I can't really find an forums posted about people who went from MPH to PhD in med anthro, though I do know there are many joint programs, but I originally thought I was going to go into a PhD for public health. Now here is my question: how should I best prepare myself for a PhD program? I was thinking about doing the Peace Corp after I graduate with my MPH and than apply for the next cycle after I got back; apply the knowledge I acquired during my masters studies. I would ideally like to go into a top notch university because I would like to work for a international health org or work at a university aboard as a researcher. Experience speaks for itself no doubt, so now I just need to design a plan of attack to get me to my destination. 

Future thanks for all the replies!

Hello  :)

I'm getting my MPH (masters in public health) from the University of Illinois - Chicago and I'm thinking about getting my PhD in medical anthro. I got my bachelors in health sciences and I was geared to the medical field, however I found that I can make a difference in the long run by working on the root of the problems instead of treating patients in the hospitals, etc etc. 

I can't really find an forums posted about people who went from MPH to PhD in med anthro, though I do know there are many joint programs, but I originally thought I was going to go into a PhD for public health. Now here is my question: how should I best prepare myself for a PhD program? I was thinking about doing the Peace Corp after I graduate with my MPH and than apply for the next cycle after I got back; apply the knowledge I acquired during my masters studies. I would ideally like to go into a top notch university because I would like to work for a international health org or work at a university aboard as a researcher. Experience speaks for itself no doubt, so now I just need to design a plan of attack to get me to my destination. 

Future thanks for all the replies!

You have a good plan and the background to support it. I see no issues there. Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...

I know a few people who have gotten a double master's in medical anthropology and public health.

You should look into the work of medical anthropologists and get a sense of the approaches, theories, and topics they study. That can really help you when writing a personal statement and choosing the best school for you.

I also recommend looking into the work of Paul Farmer, a doctor who is also an anthropologist who established the organization Partners in Health in Haiti. He has dealt with many international organizations like WHO when addressing health disparities and such. There's a good book written about him by a journalist, it's called 

Mountains Beyond Mountains: The Quest of Dr. Paul Farmer, a Man Who Would Cure the World by Tracy Kidder. It's an easy read, and it can give you some insights.