BEST UNDERGRAD DEGREE FOR MSW

muttlover3

Hi everyone--I'm new to this forum and am hoping to get some insight.  After a 35-year hiatus, I returned to college to finish what I started all those years ago.  Much has changed since then, and I actually had to go back and re-take many of the core transfer requirements.  I'm happy to say that I'm done with those now; however, now it is time to decided which undergrad major to pursue.  My goal is pursuit of the MSW, but I'm in a quandary as to which undergrad degree will prepare me best, or if it even matters.  I work p/t and have a young daughter with diabetes, so the CSU online degree in Human Development is very attractive.  At the same time, CSUN offers an undergrad in Sociology with a Social Welfare emphasis that looks soooo interesting.  Any advice would be helpful and much appreciated.  Thanx in advance, and my very best to all of you--you inspire me.

Edited by muttlover3

Your best bet is to study what interests you. People go into MSW programs with every degree imaginable, from fine arts, botany, engineering, and everything in between.

You're just going to have to go with your gut.

Perhaps major in one and minor in the other. If you don't know which one, just randomly pick something. If you change your mind somewhere along the way, you can just just swap it the other way around or major in one and drop the other later on.

Edited by jenste

I think it really depends on what area of social work you are most interested in. Although I have always planned on being a social worker, I chose to pursue bachelor's degree in communication with a minor in social psychology. I wanted to understand the communication process and the various issues we face during human interaction, human development, family development, cognitive impairment, etc. When I started looking for MSW programs that reflected my future goals, I looked for programs that had a clinical focus.

In reference to your degree choices, human development and sociology are much different in nature. Human development looks at the physical, cognitive and behavioral development of a person during the life course while sociology looks at issues across a larger population or society. But, as I said before, your choice should reflect your ultimate goal. Are you most interested in clinical work? Are you interested in working with large social welfare agencies? Are you interested in going into policy and/or advocacy? Research your future options and you will make the best choice for YOU! :)

Good luck with everything!