Realistic English MA/PhD Grad School at 30...Low GPA / High Verbal GRE

Here's my dilemma...

I am currently exploring my options for further graduate study. I have a BA in English from UGA with a 2.7 GPA. I had over 200 credit hours and explored far too many fields (Classics, Philosophy, English, History, etc.). My GPA was much higher in the early years than towards the end. My English GPA was 3.0 with 48 hours...Most of my poor grades resulted from foreign language classes (I failed Attic Greek twice due to stubborness) and one really bad semester when I was dealing with some personal issues. I was forced to work full-time for most of my undergrad years and it contributed to my low undergrad GPA.

I have since completed a masters in Secondary English Education with a 3.9 GPA. My verbal GRE scores were 95th percentile and I plan on retaking the GRE in order to up my math and essay scores.

I'm not getting any younger...Is it feasible to apply for programs with this background? Is it better to apply to a small regional MA program before attempting better schools (by better I mean Georgia State, University of Tennessee level). Thanks for your advice...

Why not try applying to both? You could apply to some regional MA programs as well as some better programs - cast a wide net, and then if the better schools will take you, great! If not, you can go to a regional program, do super well, and get into a PhD program later on. But you're a long ways out from your undergrad, and since you did really well in your last masters' program, I think that would suggest that you can now handle graduate level work.

Here's my dilemma...

I am currently exploring my options for further graduate study. I have a BA in English from UGA with a 2.7 GPA. I had over 200 credit hours and explored far too many fields (Classics, Philosophy, English, History, etc.). My GPA was much higher in the early years than towards the end. My English GPA was 3.0 with 48 hours...Most of my poor grades resulted from foreign language classes (I failed Attic Greek twice due to stubborness) and one really bad semester when I was dealing with some personal issues. I was forced to work full-time for most of my undergrad years and it contributed to my low undergrad GPA.

I have since completed a masters in Secondary English Education with a 3.9 GPA. My verbal GRE scores were 95th percentile and I plan on retaking the GRE in order to up my math and essay scores.

I'm not getting any younger...Is it feasible to apply for programs with this background? Is it better to apply to a small regional MA program before attempting better schools (by better I mean Georgia State, University of Tennessee level). Thanks for your advice...

Wow! You're like my exact clone. 

I didn't do so hot in my last two years of undergrad because I didn't do so well in Greek. I'm 27 and I just completed my B.Ed as well with a 3.9. I thought it better to apply to an MA first and did so, will be attending Fall 2013. I want to make sure I have the best chances and to be the most prepared that I possibly can for my Ph.D run, so I feel very comfortable with my decision.

Good luck to you, whatever you choose!