Fall 2013 Admits: Application Advice for Fall 2014 Prospects?

JBums1028

Hello! I'm curious if anyone starting Higher Ed or Student Affairs Master's programs this fall (or those who attended previously) have any application advice for those of us applying for Fall 14? Maybe share some things you wish you would have known prior to doing your applications?

Some suggestions (but certainly not limited to):

- What were your personal statement questions? How did you choose to structure your essays?

- What are some things that we could be working on right now to simplify the process later (updating resume, studying for GRE, etc)?

- What was your application timeline (when were they released, when did you complete yours, when did you hear back, etc?)

- How many programs did you apply to? How many do you recommend we apply to?

I'm sure any of us who are waiting for application season to start would appreciate any tidbits of info you can provide!

I am not doing a higher ed program, but the biggest piece of advice I can give is to find out as much about your program from the people directly involved with your program as you can! Email professors and program coordinators (they're the best!) and current/past students. Program coordinators are often a nice place to start since they can point you to other people who might be more tailored to your interest. Twofold benefit: they get to know you, and you get to know the program and its fit for you better. :)

I am not doing a higher ed program, but the biggest piece of advice I can give is to find out as much about your program from the people directly involved with your program as you can! Email professors and program coordinators (they're the best!) and current/past students. Program coordinators are often a nice place to start since they can point you to other people who might be more tailored to your interest. Twofold benefit: they get to know you, and you get to know the program and its fit for you better. :)

All of the programs I'm applying to have visit days after you are admitted, where we get to meet with faculty and current students. But I'm definitely trying to do as much research as I can on programs of interest to help narrow my list down and also avoid applying to programs that are a terrible fit.

Don't have a dream school or stake all your hopes on one place - it will be a huge blow if you're rejected.

I would say that I have two programs that I definitely would prefer to attend over the others. I wouldn't call them "dream schools" (neither one is 100% perfect) but they are best suited for my needs (mainly because they are in state tuition). The other programs I'm applying to though, I wouldn't mind attending, but they are out of state and therefore more expensive.

But definitely good advice from both of you so thanks!

Edited by JBums1028

Be realistic about FIT.

I feel that if I had to reach too far to "fit" with the program and the scholars, I probably wouldn't get in (proven lol)

Edited by iampheng

I'm trying to not have a dream school, but it's SO hard!

how many programs to apply is best? At one point I was considering just one, then up to 9, now down to 3, maybe 4.

also, is there merit in applying to "backup" schools? In the horrific chance I strike out, would adding at least one "safety" make sense? Or am I wasting time/money on settling?

Also, is there merit in applying to "backup" schools? In the horrific chance I strike out, would adding at least one "safety" make sense? Or am I wasting time/money on settling?

What exactly do you mean by "backup" school? Because I think I have a similar question...

Are you referring to like a smaller in state school that has a student affairs program, but it's not one of the "big name" programs? Like for example, in addition to MSU, UConn, and USC (all pretty well known SA programs) I'm looking at possibly applying to Grand Valley State University (it's a really small school in MI that it located right outside of Grand Rapids). They have a program, but they lack name recognition (I will be surprised if anyone not from Michigan has heard of it).

Is that kind of what you meant? Because I wonder the same thing... I feel like I have a really good shot at getting in to GVSU, even getting some financial assistance from them. But am I wasting my money since they aren't well known? I guess this comes back to how important is the name and prestige of a program in this field?

I'm in education but not higher ed. I would say that the route i did for my personal statement was go into what i wanted to do first and foremost. Many people just start off with their stories and it can be boring for professors to read statements that start off that way. Especially if they read these things over and over. Work on all the things you have in the parenthesis and then some like making sure you are ready to apply mentally and financially. My situation is a little different in that I only applied to one school and two programs and got into the program of my choice. I did apply to many programs last time and got in, but didnt want to go anymore so I took a year off. But, I heard in jan. and I applied and completed my application in october. I would honestly apply to as many schools as you have GREAT and I mean great fit with and the ones you can ACTUALLY and I mean actually know you would go to. In addition, money is a big thing, so make sure you can afford the applications. I will leave you with some other stuff below.

1. Start on your personal statement now. It will help you later (it doesn't have to be perfect)

2. Find out how much all your applications will cost now so you don't feel overwhelmed or upset at the prices (it might make you decide not to apply to some)

3. Have a good writing sample, preferably in education research

4. Research more than one person you would like to work with just in case the person you like leaves

5. When the time comes to apply for the schools through the application, make sure you have someone check over your personal statement so it doesn't say a different school than the one you are applying to. (has happened before)

6. Make sure you don't wait until the last minute to turn stuff in because many admission programs are unforgiving.

7. Contact your recommendation letter writers preferably now because the upcoming year will be busy (seriously if you don't do anything else do this one)

8. Work hard on the GRE but it is not the end of the world.

9. Try to research the town where the schools are located so you will know what they have to offer you on you "off" days and crime statistics

10. Make your statement generic in some instances, but they all should be different in some way. Professors can tell when they are all the same.

11. If the application asks where you are applying be cautious, it can either help or hurt you.

12. Apply early if you can and only if your application is up to par

I hope this helps!

Edited by bellefast

What exactly do you mean by "backup" school? Because I think I have a similar question...

Are you referring to like a smaller in state school that has a student affairs program, but it's not one of the "big name" programs? Like for example, in addition to MSU, UConn, and USC (all pretty well known SA programs) I'm looking at possibly applying to Grand Valley State University (it's a really small school in MI that it located right outside of Grand Rapids). They have a program, but they lack name recognition (I will be surprised if anyone not from Michigan has heard of it).

Is that kind of what you meant? Because I wonder the same thing... I feel like I have a really good shot at getting in to GVSU, even getting some financial assistance from them. But am I wasting my money since they aren't well known? I guess this comes back to how important is the name and prestige of a program in this field?

Exactly what I mean. I could pick a SUNY school or attend CUNY for pennies in comparison as an in-state resident. They have reputations but not for HESA.

Just be really, really careful about this whole question of prestige, and how much you're willing to pay for it.  You will regret going deeply in debt for a fancy name on a diploma given HESA salaries.

One of the most valuable lessons I've learned in this field (and from this board) is that reputation and prestige matter way less at the master's level than you might think.  The master's is a professional, practice-oriented degree that, for better or worse, has become a commodity.  The goal ought to be finding a program that fits your interests, will give you valuable experience, and that will leave you with little or no debt.  If you're lucky enough to find that with a "name" school, terrific.  Otherwise, it just doesn't matter.

Edited by ADLNYC

I would say that the route i did for my personal statement was go into what i wanted to do first and foremost. Many people just start off with their stories and it can be boring for professors to read statements that start off that way. Especially if they read these things over and over. Work on all the things you have in the parenthesis and then some like making sure you are ready to apply mentally and financially

That's an interesting approach. I'm one of the people who usually starts with what lead them to choose the field (which usually involves some type of personal story) and then ends with goals and where I want to go from here. This to me has a natural, chronological flow. I think I'll have to practice writing your way though. I know that one of my programs has me writing separate essays for "why I want to work in higher ed" and what my goals are.

One of the most valuable lessons I've learned in this field (and from this board) is that reputation and prestige matter way less at the master's level than you might think.  The master's is a professional, practice-oriented degree that, for better or worse, has become a commodity.  The goal ought to be finding a program that fits your interests, will give you valuable experience, and that will leave you with little or no debt.  If you're lucky enough to find that with a "name" school, terrific.  Otherwise, it just doesn't matter.

I feel like I have a pretty good variety of schools in my prospective list right now. At least half are in state programs, the other half are in locations that I wouldn't mind relocating to permanently. The goal is to stay in Michigan as long as possible.

It's interesting that your perspective is that people on this board don't care about prestige. I feel like I got sort of an opposite impression. I feel like my list of prospects includes some of the least prestigious schools compared to others, who are looking primarily at schools like Harvard, Stanford, NYU, etc for Master's level programs.

JBums1028, let me clarify.  Lots of prospective applicants lurking here are consumed with chasing prestige.  I wasn't trying to refute that.

My point is that--in this field at the master's level--doing so is a fool's errand.  The ROI on a a HESA master's from an Ivy (or the like) is about the same as the ROI on a HESA master's from a lesser known school.  That's just the reality of our field.

I think it's super smart for you to focus on Michigan.  Have you looked at the compass point institutions (WMU, CMU, EMU)?

In Michigan, the best higher education and student affairs programs (in terms of prestige) would be Michigan and Michigan State. However, there are other good higher education master's programs in the area:

Bowling Green State University (Toledo, OH)

Central Michigan University

Eastern Michigan University

Grand Valley State University

Oakland University

Western Michigan University

In Michigan, the best higher education and student affairs programs (in terms of prestige) would be Michigan and Michigan State. However, there are other good higher education master's programs in the area:

Bowling Green State University (Toledo, OH)

Central Michigan University

Eastern Michigan University

Grand Valley State University

Oakland University

Western Michigan University

I personally don't want to go out of state in the midwest. If I'm going to school in the midwest it will be in Michigan. I plan on applying to Grand Valley. Personally I wasn't too impressed with Central or Western's programs. I didn't look into Oakland at all (didn't realize they had a program). They might be worth a look. I was looking at Eastern's Academic Advising Certificate (my thought process was, since Michigan's program is higher ed/theory focused if I end up going there I could dual enroll to incorporate more practice based courses into my curriculum), but I hadn't looked at their Master's program. My main concern was that I didn't really want to live in Ypsilanti, but I could reasonably commute from the Ann Arbor area if I went to EMU.

I actually have a specific question for those who are applying to Higher Ed/Student Affairs programs. I have more Student Affairs focused career goals (specifically academic advising). However, I am applying to one theory based higher ed program (UMich). I have concerns about how to phrase in my personal statement why, despite my SA goals, I should be considered for admission into their program.

My initial instinct is to discuss how I want to have a broader perspective on the field of higher education, and how having a basic understanding of how different aspects of higher education (law, finances, etc) affect practioners will make me a more competitive employee. This is in addition of course to the general statements of "why I want to work in higher ed/SA," "what are your career goals," mentions of faculty who's research is of interest, etc. I'm also thinking that I might be able to incorporate how since I have more practice based goals, I can contribute a unique perspective to their program and how I'd like to be able to gain from the perspectives of others who have different goals (my undergraduate major consisted of people who had a wide variety of future career goals, so I'm used to programs being set up that way). Of course I will go into greater detail on each of these points in my actual essay.

My worry though is that is not convincing enough. I'm worried that if they read in my essay and see that I want to be a practioner in student affairs that they will just brush my application aside and say "oh she's better suited for an SA program." What are some other pieces of adivce that you guys have on how I can convince them that I'm a good fit for their program?

Edited by JBums1028

JBums 1028, I think you're being hard on yourself!  This sounds like a very reasonable approach to the personal statement.  Plenty of "practice-oriented" folks have gone to UMich and thrived.  You certainly won't be the only one among the applicant (or hopefully admitted student) pool, that's for sure, so just be careful not to overplay the "unique" card.

IMHO, the theory vs. practice distinction is overblown in the context of a one-year course intensive program.  Practice vs. theory differences among programs are generally differences of degree, not kind.

I am a current student at the University of Michigan. I actually like the theoretical strengths of the master's program. I believe that the coursework has prepared me well for doctoral studies (should I plan to apply). The theories and interventions will help you gain a better understanding of how students think, thrive, and succeed in college.

I am a current student at the University of Michigan. I actually like the theoretical strengths of the master's program. I believe that the coursework has prepared me well for doctoral studies (should I plan to apply). The theories and interventions will help you gain a better understanding of how students think, thrive, and succeed in college.

I'm drawn to Michigan's program because it reminds me so much of my undergrad program. Very focused on theory, and contains a collection of students who all have diverse interests in the field. Plus the idea of being able to get the degree done quickly is a huge benefit in my book (less time=less money, at least generally speaking). What it will come down to for me (besides admission, obviously) is the internship. Do you typically know where you will be interning before you have to accept the admission offer? Also would you happen to know if any internships are offered where the intern would have the opportunity to work directly with students in an advising type role? If you don't know that's fine, I'm just trying to capitalize on the fact that you're in the program. I did ask this question of an admissions rep, but I got an answer that wasn't very definitive.

JBums 1028, I think you're being hard on yourself!  This sounds like a very reasonable approach to the personal statement.  Plenty of "practice-oriented" folks have gone to UMich and thrived.  You certainly won't be the only one among the applicant (or hopefully admitted student) pool, that's for sure, so just be careful not to overplay the "unique" card.

IMHO, the theory vs. practice distinction is overblown in the context of a one-year course intensive program.  Practice vs. theory differences among programs are generally differences of degree, not kind.

Okay, I was just brainstorming today ways I could approach that topic. The paragraph I ended up with was kind of like a "stream of conciousness" as I was thinking. Wanting to be a practioner isn't that unique obviously. I'll probably opt to stick with the "broader perspective" themes and how I prefer learning in an evironment where not everyone has the same long term goals as me.

When I did a visit to the program, and I met with a few different admissions personnel earlier this summer. They stressed very heavily how the program was very theory based. I'm guessing it was just so that I knew there was a difference between their program and the other SA programs I was looking at. It did feel a little odd that they kept bringing it up though during the visit, which was part of what made me question my chances.

JBums1028, Michigan's program is theory-based because master's students and doctoral students often take courses together. I see this as a major advantage of the higher education program. While doctoral students may have different final assignments, all students are required to complete the readings and participate in class discussions. I have actually learned a lot from the doctoral students, and have pushed myself intellectually in designing my own assignments. In return, master's students get exposure to educational research, critical thinking, and improved writing skills. As I stated previously, this is good academic preparation for doctoral study (if you plan to pursue that route).

Some Michigan students were able to get internships in an academic advising role. Majority of the positions are in academic and student affairs settings. Accepted students interview for campus positions in the spring and register for classes in the summer.

Edited by michigan girl

Hey Michigan Girl! I'm going to send you a PM because I have some follow up questions based on your response. However, I don't want to post those questions here because I'd like to return the conversation back to the original general questions :)