And Yet Another "Am I Competitive" Thread

JacksonBaby

So I am prepping for the GRE (Which I take at the end of the month) and have gotten some practice scores back. I wanted to see how competitive you guys think I am granted these are the scores that I get on the real deal.

- 3.5 Overall GPA

- Double Major: History GPA 3.9; Environmental Science & Policy GPA 3.9

- Member of Sigma Xi Research Honors, Phi Alpha Theta, Environmental Honor Society, Phi Gamma Mu, and Omicron Delta Kappa

- Presented at a few conferences

- Presented a series of on-campus lectures

- Peer Mentor/Teaching Assistant

- Tutor in both majors for 3 years

- Taken numerous 3000 seminars and received A in all

- Taken two graduate courses in Humanities and received A's

- GRE 158 V; 157 Q

- President of Multiple Clubs (I know they dont really care, but it will have a CV space)

- Writing intern for Phi Beta Kappa

- Writing Intern for a Naturopathic Doctor

- Have a series of online published articles on different food related issues - Farm Salmon, GMO foods, etc.

- Peer Reviewer for Two Journals,

- 3 very strong LOR

- Finished one thesis, working on a second

- One article to be published and one under review

I am looking to apply to a few different programs across the board that have things I am looking to research in. Among them are CMU, Howard, WVU, Rutgers, U MIami, U Kentucky, McGill (Canada), and America

Dont want to be a bother! Just had some mni-freakouts and some realistic odds from others would be great! I can take the GRE again if need be no problem, and I also have fall semester to shell out some more work!

Your GRE scores are good, but I would try to get that verbal score up over 160 if I could. The quant won't matter much, but a higher verbal might make you more competitive for funding; I know someone who missed out on a lot of money because his score was one point below the cut-off. 

How extensive are your teaching experiences? An undergrad TA who leads discussions is very different from an undergrad TA who just grades papers, and a history tutor who works through a university writing center or an advising center is very different from a freelancer. Likewise, conference experiences vary - are we talking undergraduate symposiums run by the department, or graduate conferences where you presented as an undergrad? 

Edited by girlscoutcookies

I am curious - what type of history do you want to do? It sounds like environmental/food-based history. If you are, the University of Texas at Austin has a great program, or so I have heard. 

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to focus on African American or Labour History with Environmental as a subfield. I have managed to shift my environmental degree to be more of a supplement to my history degree rather than an entirely separate major. 

In terms of Environmental History, Joel Tarr over at CMU seems to THE guy. I think he may have recently retired but he left behind a really strong program that is really accessible

Oh also I am a writing intern for Phi Beta Kappa!

Your GRE scores are good, but I would try to get that verbal score up over 160 if I could. The quant won't matter much, but a higher verbal might make you more competitive for funding; I know someone who missed out on a lot of money because his score was one point below the cut-off. 

How extensive are your teaching experiences? An undergad TA who leads discussions is very different from an undergrad TA who just grades papers, and a history tutor who works through a university writing center or an advising center is very different from a freelancer. Likewise, conference experiences vary - are we talking undergraduate symposiums run by the department, or graduate conferences where you presented as an undergrad? 

As far as teaching experience goes, I led some discussions. Did not handle any grading whatsoever. 

For conference experience I was invited to Religiosu Studies Conference by a professor I had at the time who recommended me. Also I presented at another college  in Vermont in a "Exchange of Ideas" between top students in different departments. I have been a tutor through the University in both majors and did some freelance tutoring for about a year in history and in physics

Also have given a series of talks of music history and how important contextualization is (I read a Dominick LaCapra article on Intellectual History and I got really excited). I was also invited to present at a non-profit on the history behind certain musical instruments.

A suggestion to aspiring graduate students in history. While the tendancy to assess one's competitiveness in terms of various metrics is understandable, it is never too early to start presenting oneself as a historian. That is, lead off by answering the following question.

I am curious - what type of history do you want to do?

As you formulate and revise your answer, think about ways to tell the story of how your work as an undergraduate has helped you on your journey thus far. Getting into graduate school is not just about showing that you've gotten your ticket punched. The process is also about convincing established historians that you're committed to the craft and that you have the potential to contribute substantially to the discipline.

I would like to focus on African American or Labour History with Environmental as a subfield.

@JacksonBaby -- Two suggestions and a question. First, try to think of numerous topics that combine all three of the above. Second, as you work through the application process, find ways to draw attention to your productivty and your skill as a writer.

A question. Have you considered applying to Penn?