Anyone relocated with a child/children and partner?

Hi all, 

I'm new to the forum (so forgive me if this is not in the right place) but have been trying to find some success stories (or warnings!) about moving to the United States with dependents - for me this is a husband and a child. 

I'm doing a Masters in my home country at the moment and am getting decent grades so I figure it might be worth looking abroad for higher ranked PhD programs when the time comes.

Anyone out there done it? How do you manage visas, housing, schooling, money(!!!), and everything else?? 

• 2 weeks later...

I think the hardest part for a foreigner moving to the US with a family will be health insurance.  Unless your spouse gets a job that provides it, then it is usually expensive and doesn't cover a lot.  If anyone has a pre-existing condition then it's especially problematic.  Added to that, all of the health care laws are changing 1 January.

Schools offer health insurance, but it's frequently very expensive to add family on to it.  You should check that out carefully.  Good luck!

You should also consider Canada, WellingtonKiwi. Both tuition and healthcare are cheaper here for foreign students. If you are looking for Ivy-league type schools consider McGill University and U of Toronto.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i second jenste's opinion. 

when i moved to Vancouver (Canada) with my husband getting him insurance only required filling out two forms (and the 2nd one was just a signature!) :-)