taking five classes in a semester?

One of my semesters, I may end up taking five classes.  However, two of those are refresher courses.  I took the classes in undergrad but it was so long ago and they're important for my field so I'm retaking them to brush up.

I know people say five classes is hell but has anybody here done it?  How did it go?  I'm thinking my situation won't be nearly as bad since I'm retaking a linear algebra and computer science course so, since I won't deal with new material in those courses, it will feel more like four classes instead of five.

Thoughts?

I took 4 courses one semester. Ended up taking 4 incompletes and finished the requirements over the next 2 semesters. It was ok during the semester but there were just too many requirements at the end of the semester for me to handle. I needed all those classes for my degree and they were not going to be offered again for another two years, but if it wasn't necessary I would not recommend that kind of workload to anyone. 

I've done 4 in a semester and managed it. Could you audit the undergrad refresher courses rather than taking them for credit? That would lighten your load at the end of the semester considerably.

Oh, I'm glad someone asked this as well! It looks like I'm in the same boat -- mostly because my coursework seems to have balanced rather heavily in my very first (gulp) semester of grad school... and I want to get a head start on languages. I don't have any TA or RA work lined up for my first year though--would five courses be the nightmare I'm imagining it now to be?

I think this largely depends on responsibilities you have outside of school and whether or not you're the type to procrastinate.  If you're the work ahead type or follow a steady pace type then you'll be fine.  If you tend to wait until the last minute, then so many classes isn't a good idea.  Also consider what you have to do when you're not in school.  Are you working full or part time?  Do you have a family or dependents?  You'll have to create some space in all of these areas to give you time to devote to 5 classes, but its not impossible.

I take 4 classes per semester and haven't had any trouble with that on top of all of my outside responsibilities.  It also helps that I'm the work ahead type.

I also second whoever said you should see if you can take those refresher courses for no credit/audit.  That way you can just get what you need from them without the stress of your gpa being affected.

If you are in a master's program with an internship/practicum requirement, then I do not recommend the heavy workload. It was difficult enough for me to take four classes in my master's program(s)! I never took more than 12 credits of courses for a letter grade. Graduate school sets the bar much higher academically than what you ever experienced in college. Graduate coursework is more intense (heavy workload on readings) and requires a lot of critical thinking and creativity (especially the essays and research papers).

Edited by michigan girl