MFA Sculpture Applications for 2014

agrobaby

Congrats!!! Sounds like a good place to be! Are the in person interviews necessary?

I think they are important for competitive fellowship/scholarships that could come with acceptance and I need to visit the school anyways to see if they are a good fit for me. I won't be able to travel in april when I've got to make decisions on where to go.

I think they are important for competitive fellowship/scholarships that could come with acceptance and I need to visit the school anyways to see if they are a good fit for me. I won't be able to travel in april when I've got to make decisions on where to go.

Yes, for making your own decision that would certainly be the best way to go about it! 

How are my sculpture peeps fairing in here?  

The admissions stress is getting old and I'm finally getting back into a studio mentality.   I kinda wish I had access to a forge… I haven't done it in so long, but i remember how banging on some hot iron was very stress relieving. 

yea i just got mine today too....got the email late.

How did your interview go?  I think mine went well, we went well over the time we were suppose to have.  He kept impressing that it would be best to visit. the dual campus thing is a little awkward, but they have a dedicated grey hound like bus to shuttle you back and forth.  Sculpture facilities in oakland but then your studio and most of your grad classes in san fran? how do you feel about that?

i haven't had mine yet it is tomorrow, I had to work all day yesterday so i wasn't able to sign up for then....What were the questions like?

The questions were the usual

Why an mfa and now

why cca

Questions about studio practice

What artists inspire you?

And two more kinda related to the above that I can't pinpoint

It was a casual conversation.

Hope that helps! Good luck!

Trying to mentally prepare for my CMU interview today. I'm surprisingly not all that nervous- especially compared to how I was when I was first contacted. I've basically come down to realizing that I just need to be myself and being nervous will make me draw a blank. I just don't want to forget to ask the questions that I have about the department, so I suppose I will write them down. 

Then, the wait afterwards. I believe its only a week in this case though, so I'm grateful for that!

Trying to mentally prepare for my CMU interview today. I'm surprisingly not all that nervous- especially compared to how I was when I was first contacted. I've basically come down to realizing that I just need to be myself and being nervous will make me draw a blank. I just don't want to forget to ask the questions that I have about the department, so I suppose I will write them down. 

Then, the wait afterwards. I believe its only a week in this case though, so I'm grateful for that!

My partner had an interview with CMU this past Sunday. Good luck!

I can't remember the name of the man who interviewed him.

It sounded like his interview went well. It seemed like a pretty rigorous interview though, about 45 mins long.

They talked about different theortical threads that pertained to the work. It sounded like they are very interested in collaboration and social practice. Working out of the studio. And of course they talked about why CMU specifically.

Hope that helps.
C

The interview seemed to go pretty well- we talked for an hour and 15 minutes. I blanked only once, but remembered later. I felt silly and agree that this is an awkward way to interview someone, but it does feel more personal than a phone conversation. He said a couple of weeks and that the actual number they accept varies from year to year depending on the department needs and that this year it may be 6.

I hope your partner and I both get good news! He said it would actually be a couple of weeks. 

I have no clue how my SAIC interview went.  I met some amazing people while I was there, especially some of the other applicants.  Did anyone find out when they would notify or how? I'm going to just try to forget thinking about it for now and get into the right mindset for my next interview at RISD.  

Just got a call from SAIC.  Accepted!  25% tuition award!  

I feel lucky and surprised, as there were so many smart, cool applicants at the interview this weekend.