Moving to a horrible city for a free MSW?

Lola1233

I won't name names but I was essentially offered free tuition at a "top" msw program. I recently visited and words cannot describe how much I hate the city it's in. I have no desire to settle there, but that seems to be a common outlook for the students in the city. The city is home to some world renowned universities so there's a massive amount of students who go for the education, then leave. But since the MSW doesn't seem to be a very mobile degree (like law, medicine, or business) -- I'm questioning this big move. It would be a cross country move for me and I'm dreading it -- I'm thinking of backing out. 

What would you do?

I am expecting to see a lot of "no"s in response to this (location, location, location!), but before you make the jump to that conclusion, ask yourself this: what are those perceptions/reputations based on, and are those things important to you? I went to undergrad in St. Louis, and it was quite a hated city among many students for a number of reasons: limited nightlife options, perceived danger, lack of proper public transportation... But it is a much loved city among a different kind of student: deep cultural history, great food, growing art scene, great opportunity for entrepreneurship and social change... I hope to go back (WashU MSW '16, fingers crossed). A lot of cities written off for bad first impressions (Cleveland, Baltimore, Philadelphia...) have many great things to offer, and are growing and changing beyond their outdated reputations.

So if the full ride is important and your other options are limited, there's always room to find a way to love a place. A short visit is never enough time to fully write off a city.

Edit: I should emphasize the fact that I don't have my MSW or license (yet) so I cannot speak to mobility after graduating. Just asking you to fully consider your first impressions.

Edited by dlr129

Have you considered your expected salary as a social worker after graduation and where you would like to live?

Social workers, especially in the US, do not earn high salaries compared other professions. How much debt would you accumulate if you attended another school and how long would it take for you to pay it off?

It's a matter of perspective... You could consider living in this city for 2 years a small price to pay for being able to purchase a home a few years earlier than expected or achieving any other financial goals that you have much earlier than if you had to take on personal debt for school.

On the other hand, is this location close to anywhere you could see yourself working after you graduate? One of the disadvantages of attending school so far away is that your contacts in the community and your professors won't know much about the job market where you currently live. So you won't have the opportunity to get recommended for a job by a prof or internship supervisor if you will be leaving after you graduate. Contacts can go a long way in terms of helping you land your first job. By attending this school, you will essentially have to start from scratch in terms of building a network in the field (unless there is a nearby city that you like).

But if the job market is relatively strong in social work where you are currently living (I am assuming you want to return there, but I could be wrong as you did not say) having an MSW and good references should be good enough to land you a job.

I would personally go to the free school but that's because I hate debt. It really comes down to where your priorities lie and whether or not you are willing and able to make sacrifices for two years for the financial benefits later on. But, if living there would cause you to become unhappy, unmotivated and depressed, it would not be worth the free tuition and taking on debt at another school would be the better move.

Have you considered your expected salary as a social worker after graduation and where you would like to live?

Social workers, especially in the US, do not earn high salaries compared other professions. How much debt would you accumulate if you attended another school and how long would it take for you to pay it off?

It's a matter of perspective... You could consider living in this city for 2 years a small price to pay for being able to purchase a home a few years earlier than expected or achieving any other financial goals that you have much earlier than if you had to take on personal debt for school.

This is exactly what I was thinking.  Ok sure the city stinks, but can you afford to pass up a free degree at a top rated program?  Social work is often a very underpaid and highly stressful field.  I completely agree that location plays a huge role in ones well being and that should definitely be considered.  However a location is something that can be changed far easier than student loan debt.  Since this degree is funded you'll be able to finish in 2 years (maybe earlier!) and then move wherever you like or where the jobs are.  Student loan debt will take what?  20+ years to pay off?  2 years versus 20+?  A crappy city may not be so bad.

Also consider what you'll be doing for those 2 years.  I'm sure there will be plenty of academic related projects you can stuff into your schedule to distract you from the awfulness of the city.  And like another poster said the city may have a few hidden gems that probably won't make it amazing, but at least tolerable.  If I were in your shoes I'd take the funded program and the crappy city.  My wellbeing could handle being less happy for 2 years as opposed to 20+ years of student loan payments in a field that isn't known to be well paying.