Harvard strengths/weaknesses and housing

I have been accepted to Harvard's and Hopkins' global health master's programs and am ultimately interested in doing a PhD. I have learned a lot about Hopkins because I live in the DC area and know a lot of people who attended Hopkins, but I don't know much about Harvard. I feel like both Harvard and Hopkins offer very high caliber programs, though Hopkins has had an international program fro longer. I did get some funding at Harvard, but not at Hopkins, and I learned that the Hopkins International Health Department is quite short on funding, not even providing it for PhD students. Does anyone have any insight into the relative strengths and weaknesses of Harvard? I'll give it a go and please build on my comments.

I would also appreciate any advice on the ideal neighborhoods to live in when attending school in the Longwood area on the green line.

Strengths:

- Many opportunities for international work

- Boston is a relatively safe city (as opposed to Baltimore)

- Less expensive tuition than Hopkins and seems to have more funding available for international health programs

- I like the built in WinterSession field trip opportunities

Weaknesses:

- Relatively high cost of living

- I would personally prefer a PhD but they only offer a DPH in my field

- Somewhat cold (I am from Minnesota - it's all relative)

Well, what are your specific interests? If you're at all interested in economics, then Harvard has Hopkins beat hands down. Moreover, you could still get your PhD there through the interdisciplinary health policy program (although frankly I'm not sure exactly how much more prestigious that is than the ScD in global health).

Have you spoken with students in the program there?

Globalhealth -

I currently work in the Longwood area (and am considering attending HSPH, UW, and UNC). I can tell you another strength to add is that a good # of students (that want to continue) continue into their doc programs. As far as the area goes, it depends on how much is feasible (and gender - I wouldn't suggest living near Mission Hill if you are female as its not the best area to have to walk through alone at night, though its very close to the school). Brookline, Allston, and Brighton are relatively affordable and on most bus/train lines.

I lived in Brookline for 2 years. I absolutely love Brookline, and I have a friend who is a post-doc at Harvard and she also lives in Brookline. Most of Brookline is walk accessible to the HSPH area, especially if you're living near Coolidge Corner (which is where I lived).

Rent is slightly pricey, especially if you don't live a roommate, but it's an absolutely fantastic place for a 20-something to live. Great places to eat, very safe, and all-around pleasant.

Allston and Brighton is much cheaper to live, but a lot of BU and BC undergrads live in those areas, it's not as upscale as Brookline, but if you're into rowdy parties and bar scene, might be a place for you to check out. Boston proper is pretty darned expensive to live in and might not necessarily be something you'd consider if cost is a factor.