How much does the writing portion of the GRE matter?

sogswell

I am applying to I/O programs and just took my GRE. 165 V, 168 Q, but only a 3.5 analytical writing. Do programs care about the analytical writing scores? Is it worth the time and effort to retake and improve just that score?

Before you even start thinking about a retake, contact your program(s) and ask them point blank. Your verbal and quant scores are really good. I can't say about your program but the weightage given to analytical writing scores varies among different programs, fields, and departments. E.g. In my case, most of the prospective engineering programs I've contacted so far have been clear that AW scores do not matter all that much.

I'm talking from a clinical program POV, but I've heard its really dependent on the specific mentor you are applying to unless your scores are absolutely abysmal. I'm assuming I/O are also mentor based programs. 3.5 isn't an abysmal score, but I've heard that below 4 may raise some eyebrows as psych is such a writing intensive field. I wouldn't say retake, however. You can try to use your writing sample to your advantage and display your writing skills if they are amazing. If they aren't, combined with that score, it may not work very well.

• 3 weeks later...

I have heard that the analytic section is not typically weighed as much, if at all in some cases. When I applied to my master's program at UTD, my analytic score was a 4.5...needless to say the other two sections were horrendous. I find it funny that the supposed reasoning behind the GRE is to test abstract and independent thinking (which are extremely pertinent qualities to have in graduate school), yet it doesn't account for the other types of learning processes or adaptive strategies that are used by other types of highly evolved (potential) graduate students. Also, it fails to account for any testing anxiety which is constantly flaunted by many committee members. The GRE is supposed to be the best predictor (for now) as to the probability of someone's ability to think, create and understand information in a more complex manner. The analytic section actually serves as a better unit of measurement when it comes to abstract and independent thinking. It requires someone to write on two two topics that require the writer to compartmentalize and organize information deduced from the reading, then spectate as to its validity and reliability...all while providing a thesis-like component into the mix to support one's argument. Yet, it is the least-considered component in the puzzle. Admissions committees much prefer someone's ability to visualize and measure two triangles in a bilateral formation and account for the shaded portion of the top, left corner. 

• 2 weeks later...

I was in a very similar situation. My verbal and quantitative scores were great, but I was horrified when I received my writing score. It ended up mattering very little. I found out that admissions committees put less weight on the AW score than the other two, which I assume is due to its lack of external validity. I had several professors tell me my GRE scores were fantastic and didn't even mention my low AW score. Only one professor brought up my writing score during an interview, albeit jokingly. He said my personal statement made up for it. Just write a killer personal statement!

Guest joshw4288

I am in an M.A. program now, applying to doctoral programs this semester. From what my research advisors have said (who are also on faculty for doctoral programs) no one really cares about the AW because a) it was written in 30 minutes and you will never have this sort of time limit with writing in real life and B) you submit (hopefully) a well thought out statement of purpose and to some programs a writing sample which are both much better predictors of your writing ability than a 30 minute essay on an arbitrary subject. They also both mentioned that psych programs are beginning to put more weight on the quantitative side than than they have in the past because of the utility of having people with solid quantitative skills for analyzing data. 

I'm inclined to think that you just need an analytical score above the institutional cutoffs where you're applying. Like Adil said, I'd ask them point blank. 

And truthfully, your quant and verbal scores are wonderful -- especially for I/O. And if you think about it, you'll have ample opportunity to demonstrate your writing ability in your personal statement and SOP.