value of abroad education (IR)

TBCTT

I know US schools are well regarded as very good schools that have great IR programs, but would going to school abroad (not as expensive, not as long, and get to experience a new culture) result in an IR masters that would equal the same kind of weight as an american university degree? 

This question would apply to mainly government jobs in intel, diplomacy, and/or policy.

I asked a similar question on this forum a few months ago and I received mixed responses.  My opinion is that you could definitely gain the same skills at an IR program outside of the U.S.  However, you will not have access to the name recognition of an American university or the networking opportunities that are provided by the program.  It may be harder for you to get your foot in the door than if you went to an American IR graduate program.  I think that this would be especially true for something like intelligence in which proximity to Washington, D.C. is paramount.

For example, let's say your graduate program is in Paris.  There is a good chance that the program will have a few alumni and contacts in the U.S.  But it won't have nearly as many contacts as an American IR graduate program.

• 3 weeks later...

Another thing to consider (and I'm no means an expert on this, you'll need to follow up with other people) is the difficulty of gaining clearance with certain US government agencies if you've gotten your IR degree abroad. I'm talking about whether you'd like to work for agencies like the Department of Defense, State Department, CIA, etc. My impression is that (conterintuitively) they tend to be somewhat suspicious of someone who has spent extensive time abroad--especially those who've gotten their degree from a foreign institution. Time and money may be an attractive factor for attending an IR program abroad but if you really see yourself working for a US govt agency that requires high-level clearance in the future, you might need to sacrifice on both these points. Let's see if anyone else can confirm this.

Another thing to consider (and I'm no means an expert on this, you'll need to follow up with other people) is the difficulty of gaining clearance with certain US government agencies if you've gotten your IR degree abroad. I'm talking about whether you'd like to work for agencies like the Department of Defense, State Department, CIA, etc. My impression is that (conterintuitively) they tend to be somewhat suspicious of someone who has spent extensive time abroad--especially those who've gotten their degree from a foreign institution. Time and money may be an attractive factor for attending an IR program abroad but if you really see yourself working for a US govt agency that requires high-level clearance in the future, you might need to sacrifice on both these points. Let's see if anyone else can confirm this.

I'm not sure about this one.  It's hard to believe that spending two years getting a Master's degree at a university outside of the U.S. (unless it is in a place like Iran or North Korea) is going to shut you out of any government jobs.  I was told that it may take longer to get a security clearance if you spend extensive time abroad but that's about the only problem you will encounter.  Check out this thread for more details:

You can also go to an american institution and study abroad.

SAIS MA has an option of studying in Bologna for a year (2nd year in D.C.).

Elliot School gives you an opportunity to study abroad for a semester at LSE, SciencesPo, IHEDI, Free University of Berlin, University of Sydney, National University of Singapore, etc etc.

I'm not sure about other programs, but my point is that gaining international experiences and earning an American degree can go together.

It's still gonna be expensive and long (2 years mostly) though.

• 2 weeks later...

You can also go to an american institution and study abroad.

SAIS MA has an option of studying in Bologna for a year (2nd year in D.C.).

Elliot School gives you an opportunity to study abroad for a semester at LSE, SciencesPo, IHEDI, Free University of Berlin, University of Sydney, National University of Singapore, etc etc.

I'm not sure about other programs, but my point is that gaining international experiences and earning an American degree can go together.

It's still gonna be expensive and long (2 years mostly) though.

Yes, the problem with abroad programs through U.S. institutions is that you still have to pay the U.S. tuition. Although perhaps cost of living will be lower if you're in Singapore or Italy.

Yes, the problem with abroad programs through U.S. institutions is that you still have to pay the U.S. tuition. Although perhaps cost of living will be lower if you're in Singapore or Italy.

Singapore and Italy are both pretty expensive.  Maybe you can find cheap places to eat and live but you can find those anywhere.