CV question

sarab

In my senior seminar class, my professor advised us to include in the CV the title of all the research papers  we had done for our classes if we could remember them. However, I have written so many papers that it makes my CV look longer than necessary for an undergraduate, specially since they haven't been published.

So my question is: should I include all the titles, selected titles related to my subfield, or none?

Also, should I include all the relevant courses? If so, should I list them line by line or just separate them by commas?

Edited by sarab

Definitely include titles related to your subfield. You could also include a few others if they signal something important (familiarity with a methodology or area of knowledge that may be relevant etc.)

On relevant coursework, you could include them as an addendum to your CV - line by line is obviously easier to read, but do not exceed one page. You could group them by sub-areas and then include all courses within each sub-area para-style.

I've heard this advice as well.  I'll be doing this for my MA and MEd degrees, since there's so little coursework and therefore few papers to list, but can't imagine doing it for undergrad. I say the latter mostly because a) I can't remember all the papers I wrote and a laptop crash early in my undergrad has left me without a comprehensive list and b ) I don't think adcomms care about my cruddy Intro to Poetics paper from my first year of undergrad -- I don't see how that would help my case!

I agree with Zapster -- list titles from your subfield specifically, and anything that will boost your argument that you're a good fit for the specific program and for your proposed project. 

I would only list coursework if your transcript doesn't clearly do so already, otherwise it will be redundant. If you list it, one separate page (perhaps as the last page of your CV) is usually the way to go. One of the universities I'm applying to has asked for it to be prepared as a list according to fields.  I imagine I'll probably also list the main theorists and thrust of each class under the title. 

Edited by acarol

What's an addendum like? I looked some up on google, and I don't know if they look right...

Also, acarol, I do remember the titles of the papers, so maybe I can include the ones relevant to my field.

Re: Addendum - probably not the technically right word I used :). Basically just a separate sheet added at the end of your CV, can be titled something like "List of relevant coursework <and skill sets XYZ> undertaken". Organize by key sub-themes depending on your area of specialization / skill sets etc. (For example, Quantitative Coursework/Skills, Programming Coursework/Skills, Sociology Coursework/Skills, etc. etc.)

There may be many reasons why this is useful over and above a transcript:

• Transcript has details of too many courses, making it difficult to identify the courses most relevant to the area of interest
  • Transcript has courses specific to an area spread over various semesters etc - a single sheet provides a comprehensive view of courses in specific areas
  • Transcript may have names that do not describe the actual content of the course 
  • It signals that you are aware of what sort of underlying coursework is relevant and important
  • You can add supplementary information not available in a transcript to pose a comprehensive view - e.g. any courses undertaken outside your university, summer courses, online courses, self-study courses, etc. as well as any additional skill sets you have acquired, research or programming tools you have learnt etc.
  • For students where some semesters are still to be completed, you can even mention key courses you expect to take.

I did this, and the profs I interviewed with really liked it. I listed the title of the paper (sometimes reworded to better convey the thesis), the course and the semester. I tried to include only one or two per semester that were really relevant to my field/research interest.

I think I needed to do this because my interest in gender differences, relationships, and quantitative methods was easier to see in my papers, than in my econ, history, psych, and math courses. PM me if you want a copy of it.

I wouldn't put it on my cv. It makes it look like you don't have any relevant stuff so your trying to cv pad. I once saw where someone in a phd program had their high school diploma on their cv. You can have whatever but I save my cv for peer reviewed publications, awards and fellowships I have received, relevant experience aka teaching courses at junior college, my bachelors and masters degrees.

For applications, I think it makes sense. But, only list the relevant ones. And, if the course titles themselves aren't clear on your transcript, include something that gives the full title. I did the latter for my applications and I think it helped.